Early Soft Top Door Skinning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
This should be a learning experience. I dropped off my canvas and pictures from John at the sail shop and had the window opening hemmed and all. So now begins the fun.
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0673.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg

Now, unlike the square doors which have the top bar to stretch from, I'll need to glue this into the opening and stretch from there. :hmm: All my experience with paste tells me that's going to be a disaster. :bang:

So, no pictures yet, because I'm out of patience. But I'm thinking if I cut a plywood "plug" from 3/4" plywood to fit snug in the window opening and insert it from the outside that should hold it during gluing and I can leave it in for the stretch. :idea: Maybe tomorrow.
IMG_0675.jpg

I like the idea of a snug plug. Maybe you can use some shims to make it really snug or screw on some 2x1 planks on both sides of the plug in the door (inner and outer like a sandwich) to keep it place while you do the work...:popcorn:

Find a source for rubber trim? Did I miss that? Somehow?

Actually worked out with some forward planning when it was available five or so years ago....... :rolleyes:

No work tonight, I'll play with it this weekend. Ordered some #6 stainless screws for the trim. I'll have to grind down the heads like Johnny had posted. The originals are around a #5 but a lot of the holes were stripped out.

So Jim if you need any other pictures let me know. We are heading up to the cabin this weekend, so let me know as soon as you can.

Going to take my new trailer up and then move some stones around to make a border for the driveway in hopes of getting another stone to move:bang: That and drink beer:beer:

This actaully seemed to work pretty well. Glued and drying. I cut a 3/4" piece of luan, after a few trial and errors it ended up about 3/16" smaller than the opening to allow for the canvas. After a couple tests it seemed best to:

1- lay the plug on the table
2- lay the fabric on the plug.......but don't pull it over and down.
3- tape the fabric to the plug (so it is laying on the top)
4- lay the door frame down on it and push down pulling the fabric down over the plug.
5- check from the other side to be sure the seam ended up where you want it.

Practice about six times before using glue!! ;p The wedges were to keep the fabric tight in a few places to get a good bond.
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg
IMG_0709.jpg

Looking good Jim. When I get a top from the other Jim I just have him sent the door material to you and let you skin then for me. Since your a expert and filling holes too:rolleyes:

I'll drop off my doors and canvas tomorrow for ya... :D

Looking good Jim. When I get a top from the other Jim I just have him sent the door material to you and let you skin then for me. Since your a expert and filling holes too:rolleyes:

You guys just crack me up. :rolleyes: I think I could finish the body on the other 25 in the amount of time I've got in these doors. I'll pass the plug onto the first person attempting this after me. Be warned though, it fit snug in the first door and was loose as a goose in the next one. :mad:

Some more pictures (not too many as I don't have any extra hands). I bought some stainless screws. I needed #6, a little larger than stock because the holes were stripped out on some. I had to chuck each one of these in a drill and turn the heads down to .220" or so.

The actual stretching, gluing and trimming is pretty straightforward, but takes twice as long as you'd think.
IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0710.jpg

Hmm, this didn't post before. :confused: Hung this one up to dry, on the truck was as good as any place. Daughter came home and changed my luck :D second one went together relatively easy. Weatherstrip, window tracks, plexiglass, touch up and handles left ........... :bang:
IMG_0719.jpg

Hmm, this didn't post before. :confused: Hung this one up to dry, on the truck was as good as any place. Daughter came home and changed my luck :D second one went together relatively easy. Weatherstrip, window tracks, plexiglass, touch up and handles left ........... :bang:

Awesome :cheers:

Been poking away at the window tracks. I got some 3/16" pile weatherstrip to line the inside of the track. Somebody tells me the original stuff may still be available. :meh: Also cut some 1/8" replacment plexiglass windows...........
IMG_0720.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0727.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom