Early rear step (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello - apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I'm looking for an early rear step for my '68 40 - the one with the mounting flange angled inwards. Nothing on eBay and nobody makes or sells one that I can find from the usual suspects. Any help is appreciated.

Your looking for second generation. First generation is wider. The reflectors just inside the tail lights 68-73 required the step to be narrower. 74 on the flange folded out and shared bolts with the bumperettes. Have a number of early ones but no spare 68-73 steps. It was discussed that the late aftermarket steps the flanges match the holes just inside the bumperettes but the holes in the step do not match the holes in the frame. I mentioned in a thread years ago not drilling the holes in the step while not correct for the pre 74 years could be drilled to match early thru 73. 68-73 would even have fixed nuts on the frame. But idea didn't catch on.

Last edited:
Your looking for second generation. First generation is wider. The reflectors just inside the tail lights 68-73 required the step to be narrower. 74 on the flange folded out and shared bolts with the bumperettes. Have a number of early ones but no spare 68-73 steps. It was discussed that the late aftermarket steps the flanges match the holes just inside the bumperettes but the holes in the step do not match the holes in the frame. I mentioned in a thread years ago not drilling the holes in the step while not correct for the pre 74 years could be drilled to match early thru 73. 68-73 would even have fixed nuts on the frame. But idea did catch on.
ok thanks so much. this is really helpful. Let me know if there are any other resources I should check for it.

You can put a wanted ad in the classified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom