Early 70s Downey TH350 to 3 speed transfer case install instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry if I made confusion.
My adapter is different than 2mnyprojects.
Previous I stated my plate was about 1". ( not true )
After removing it and throwing a caliper on it ; it is 3/4 ".
The adapter I have utilizes the stock splined output shaft from a 6 " tail shaft TH350 so no disassembly of the trans is necessary.
My sealed bearing between the adapter plate and transfer case is captured by the cases.
I don't know what holds the other one in place.
So what I have is the TH350 shaft going through the internally splined transfer case shaft with gear attached.
Here is a different picture of the rear side of the adapter transfer case shaft.
Here is a picture of a trust washer / shim involved with this adapter that I would like to identify the origin.
Thank You !
IMG_1052.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

The V-8 engine installation guide is all I have. Not what you are looking for since it specifically says its for stock transmissions.

Attachments

• Downey V-8 Conversion Instructions.pdf
    212.6 KB · Views: 42
Ok. So then you either get your “early” Downey adapter repaired, and don’t modify drive shafts, or get 2mnyprojects 1” adapter, then modify drive shafts

Not much from the old website via WayBackMachine.

Thanks for the install guide.
It is not what I needed but was a good read so I saved a copy.
I was looking on the wayback machine myself and came up short.
I have a 2001 Downey catalog and it has the newer 1" looking adapter like 2mnyprojects has.
I am narrowing down the way I am going to reassemble my setup with the least hurt to the beer budget.
I need my shaft back from the welder to finalize my idea.
Thanks

Ok. So then you either get your “early” Downey adapter repaired, and don’t modify drive shafts, or get 2mnyprojects 1” adapter, then modify drive shafts
I don't need drive shaft modifications with 2mnyprojects setup as it is pretty much the same thickness.
I mentioned possible drive shaft modification before I knew what he had.
The use of 2mnyprojects setup would require my trans coming out and at a minimum using his trans and the rest of the adapter .
I don't know the condition of it and would have to assume his trans needs rebuilt.
I don't do auto trans work myself so that kind of thing is real bad for the beer budget.
I am still waiting for the shaft from the welder to finalize measurements for a missing spacer between the input gear hard washer spacer thing in one of the previous pictures and the sealed input bearing.

I’m not sure what I’m missing (unless I’ve forgotten everything from the 1970’s), but as I recall the aluminum adapter plate that was used with your “early” adapter was well over 1” thick???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom