Early 70s Downey TH350 to 3 speed transfer case install instructions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a early 70s Downey TH350 to 3 speed fj40 transfer case adapter .
I have a cracked transfer case input shaft.
I have posted a wanted for the shat and am hoping for the best.
I bought this many years ago attached to the TH350 and did not run until recently.
I had ATF getting in the transfer case and upon disassembly fount the cracked shaft.
I believe the assembly was put together incorrect and don't if a seal was missing or what.
I could use a parts list or assembly sheet .
Thank You !

1681588524551.jpeg

Unfortunately that adapter design lasted one batch only (during very early 1970,s) since it very quickly became easy to discover a much better way to build the adapters. Soooo unfortunately your odds of finding any parts for that adapter are minus 10,000 to 1. Sorry!!!!!

Unfortunately that adapter design lasted one batch only (during very early 1970,s) since it very quickly became easy to discover a much better way to build the adapters. Soooo unfortunately your odds of finding any parts for that adapter are minus 10,000 to 1. Sorry!!!!!
Thanks for the response.
At first I thought I had the same one in this link.
Fj40 transfer case - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-transfer-case.1233026/#post-13499774
Now I see obvious differences.
The splines on mine are located on the nose cone side.
I only had one bearing on the nose cone side . Could be missing one ?
I am starting to believe the 2 hare line cracks that are at the nose cone splined end are not as critical as first look.
The cracks run length wise and are 50 mm long one one side and 180 degrees apart the other one is 40mm.
The total length of the internal splines are 100 mm.
Looking at the Downey or AA spud shaft pictures I am guessing around 50 mm. of insertion.
I think the cracks are from the POs Big Hammer and not from power / torque.
A little tig welding ?
I would like a install guide or parts involved list to see if parts are missing .

Unfortunately I have not had that instruction sheet for probably 45 years.

I have an old adapter kit for the TH350 to 3-speed transfer case. I don't have any plans on using it. If I can help you out I gladly will.

2mnyprojects. Please show photo of your adapter pieces, if cold beer can’t use them I possibly could- - I certainly could float some coin your way.

I have an old adapter kit for the TH350 to 3-speed transfer case. I don't have any plans on using it. If I can help you out I gladly will.
Thanks for the response 2mnyprojects
Yes I am interested reading or seeing more about your adapter.
Mine is about 1".
Is yours Downey, AA or other ?
Thinner or the thicker 5.25" ?
What would you have to have ?
I am set up well now for the 1" but modifying the drive shafts one more time is not out of the question.
Thanks again for your reply.

2mnyprojects. Please show photo of your adapter pieces, if cold beer can’t use them I possibly could- - I certainly could float some coin your way.
I'll try to get some pictures of what I have shortly. I wish I was better with this, still not sure how to post pictures.

Thanks for the response 2mnyprojects
Yes I am interested reading or seeing more about your adapter.
Mine is about 1".
Is yours Downey, AA or other ?
Thinner or the thicker 5.25" ?
What would you have to have ?
I am set up well now for the 1" but modifying the drive shafts one more time is not out of the question.
Thanks again for your reply.
I know the adapter plate is about 1 inch thick. I'll get some pictures.

I know the adapter plate is about 1 inch thick. I'll get some pictures.
Sound good.
I just had to figure out the picture thing myself.
If you are using a PC , you could drag and drop the picture from your desk top screen to the post you are writing.
I put the picture near the top of my desk top so it was handy to grab.
When you are writing your post look just above it and you will see a row of icons/ symbols.
Hover your curser over the symbols and they will reveal there function.
The rectangular one with a swiggle looking thing will say insert image.
Click it and a box will appear in your post saying drag image .
Reduce the size of you open browser enough to see your picture file if not already.
Grab your file and drag to the box .
Make sure to hold it over the drop in box long enough to make it stick.
Hope it works !
Thanks

Sound good.
I just had to figure out the picture thing myself.
If you are using a PC , you could drag and drop the picture from your desk top screen to the post you are writing.
I put the picture near the top of my desk top so it was handy to grab.
When you are writing your post look just above it and you will see a row of icons/ symbols.
Hover your curser over the symbols and they will reveal there function.
The rectangular one with a swiggle looking thing will say insert image.
Click it and a box will appear in your post saying drag image .
Reduce the size of you open browser enough to see your picture file if not already.
Grab your file and drag to the box .
Make sure to hold it over the drop in box long enough to make it stick.
Hope it works !
Thanks
Sorry, this is really bad. I have absolutely no idea what you're trying to explain to me. When my son gets home I'll see if he can help' A Dinosaur with a laptop. I have a very hard time getting pictures from my phone to my laptop. I can fab all day long, just keep me away from computers.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update 2mnyprojects.
This is perfectly understandable.
You have 2 many projects and I have 2 many hobbies !
If I get bored it's my own fault.

Thanks for the update 2mnyprojects.
This is perfectly understandable.
You have 2 many projects and I have 2 many hobbies !
If I get bored it's my own fault.
With some help, I have a couple of pictures. I had to take the pictures then email them to myself and download them. I hope there is an easier way. This is the 10 spline shaft.

IMG_20230420_123906630.jpg

IMG_20230420_123921453.jpg

2mnyprojects. Does your 1” adapter include both shafts, the transfer- case input shaft shown, and the TH350 Downey shaft installed into that tranny???

Good deal, anything else that may be missing is an off the shelf item, does not have to be manufactured.

Here are a couple of pictures of the tranny.

View attachment 3303223

View attachment 3303224
Thanks 2mnyprojects.
The picture thing turned out great.
I took my cracked shaft this morning to a local pro welding service and was glad to learn they have high confidence of a repair.
With that being said I will go the route of repair and reassemble.
I would still like to have your adapter and trans but it would just be a spare on the shelf unless of a screw up of the welder.
Are you in Mid , Middle or upper Wisconsin ?
Do you have a FJ40 project in need of parts ?
I might have what you need.
Thanks again !

I pulled adapter plate off the trans to see if anymore surprises could be spotted.
I found heli coils in all adapter plate holes for transfer case mounting.
They all seem fine to me .
I am waiting for the shaft to be welded and ground.
Notice the adapter plate thickness. ( 19mm )
IMG_1040.JPG
IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG
IMG_1049.JPG
IMG_1050.JPG

Ok, now I’m totally confused. It appears both cold beer and 2 mnyprojects have the same 1” thick adapter plate ( newest style), and both have the female splined th350 output shaft, but the 1” thick adapter with female splined tyranny output shaft have nothing to do with the ancient pieces shown in the first photo of this thread????,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom