E-Locker troubleshooting... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just picked up this 80, and it's got the locker switch and the k294 axle code with matching vin badge. For most they are able to turn the switch and have F+R blink on dash trying to engage the differential lockers.

Mine does not. 7 pin mod has not been done. This vehicle has sat in california and it doesn't look like they have ever used it. No dashblights for the lockers, no sounds, just dead in water with absolutely no power.

When I put the transfer case is low gear the CDL and the abs light come up and nothing more. Haven't had much time to inspect and play with it. Been trying to find a solid elocker diagram that a dummy like me could follow to find my fault. Anybody got some advice or diagram by chance for fuses and wiring?

Sure would save this guy some headache!
Thanks in advance, hope you all had a great weekend.

Last edited:
Do you hear the relay clicking on coming from the passenger side foot well area?

Do you hear the relay clicking on coming from the passenger side foot well area?

I had my wife riding with my trying to do lazy 8s seeing if it would stir something up. She said she heard clicking but it was probably just the cdl doing its thing. I'll do this in a few hrs and let you know if I hear anything. Located in kicker panel on pass side correct?

I had my wife riding with my trying to do lazy 8s seeing if it would stir something up. She said she heard clicking but it was probably just the cdl doing its thing. I'll do this in a few hrs and let you know if I hear anything. Located in kicker panel on pass side correct?

Yeah, any time I engage my FR and RR diff locks I hear the relay do a pretty audible click coming from the kicker panel on the passenger side. as soon as I hear that clicking the front and rear diff lock indicators blink until the the diffs actually lock then the indicators go to solid red.

There are some diagrams in post 7 here:

First thing is the center diff lock light has to light up and lock. If you don't have a CDL switch near the hazard switch the only way you can get the center diff to lock is to shift to low range.

Yeah, any time I engage my FR and RR diff locks I hear the relay do a pretty audible click coming from the kicker panel on the passenger side. as soon as I hear that clicking the front and rear diff lock indicators blink until the the diffs actually lock then the indicators go to solid red.
There is a locker "ecu" in that panel, magic dial -> ecu -> splits to front and rear lockers. May check the connections. There are couple harness to route to them. Especially the connection on the actually lockers.

Hope everybody is having a great week so far!
I'm not sure I have power to the locker dial. I dont hear anything from the kicker panel when I try turning it in 4LO with CDL locked and ABS on. Opened the kicker panel and everything looks connected and hasn't been tampered with, I replaced the fuse for the diff in the fuse panel in the truck.. nothing. Only time I see the F+R lights is when I turn the key over. The (actuator?) that is on the axle is all connected and doesn't appear to be any damage. Kind of at a loss here... any suggestions? Is there a fuse for the lockers under the hood?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

From the link I posted above:

If the relay doesn't click; it could be a bad connection (rare), bad ECU (very rare) or most commonly a bad connection at the position limit switch in the actuator. The relays in the ECU are powered from the rotary diff lock switch, ground comes from the position limit switch in the actuator.

I would take apart the position limit switch and make sure it has a good connection to ground.

Next best thing is to follow the wires. Check out the Service Hints posted in the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom