Dusy Ershim 2010 trip report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm hoping this will be the collection for the 2010 Dusy Ershim trip report.

Four trucks on the run:

My diesel powered FJ60 on 37s
Dusty's 1ton built FJ80 (Lexus badged) on 42s
Rick's FJ80 supercharged on 37s
Andy's deep geared crawling FJ60 on 37s

First off, what an amazing trail. I definitely came away with a full stomach of wheeling satisfaction. Beautiful scenery, good eating, and great company. I've got pics and videos to edit to get up on this thread. Pics will come soon, the vids will take a little while. As time permits before the memory dulls I plan to report on this trip but I just wanted to get the thread started for the others to get their stories up as well as a central place to post our pics to share our event. My claim to fame on this trip is the first stroller on the Dusy.

We had plans this year to attend CruiseMoab but due to the timing of buying a house we cancelled our registration. At 09's Rubithon I met Andy (cruiserdrew) and he planted a seed to do Dusy sometime. It worked out that we were going down to Cali for a family visit and that would be the same time they typically ran Dusy. So the plans were in motion and prepping the truck continued. The last major thing I needed to to do was get a skid plate back underneath and I ended up finishing that at Andy's place while I was down in Cali before the wheeling trip. I also made a quick appearance at Rubicon Tuesday's where the place was packed.

The next week we met Andy along with Tom at a gas station and caravaned down to the trail together. In my truck I brought my wife, our 9-month old, and her sister. We were a little concerned about the elevation since Dusy starts around 8200ft, stays above 9000ft for most of the trail and peaks at almost 10,200ft. We did some prep before the trip and really didn't have any issues for any of us at that elevation. We did feel out of breath at times, felt the heart beating, and not as hungry the first day or two but nothing bad like what we'd read about elevation sickness. To run Dusy we planned on a 4-day trip camping along the way.

The first night we camped on a nice granite slab and enjoyed the use of our stroller we brought along for the baby. Jaw's dropped and chuckles proceeded when we set up our 8 person tent that you can stand up inside. We had picked it up last summer, loved it, and it really doesn't take long to set up. My fitness trained sister-in-law made quick work out of helping collect firewood with Andy and Tom for when the sun light faded. With our chairs set up and Kabobs ready to cook we were ready to sit around the fire and wait for the others to show up. Rick and company showed up next and then Dusty and his dad came in last. Once seeing faces I realized we'd met Tom (in Andy's rig) Rick, and Dale at the Rubithon. New faces were Ali, Dusty, and his dad Randy.

I kept asking Andy about the trail and what to expect and while understandably it really depends the best way he summed it up was that to get through Dusy Ershim, it's a mission. It's 33 miles of rock crawling with a healthy dose of butt cheek exercises also known as pucker factor. The trail snakes between two wilderness area's so staying on the trail is mandatory. One really needs to be comfortable with how far your rig can lean to enjoy this trail. It has a variety of just about everything with some beautiful scenery to satisfy all aspects of getting out in the mountains; yes, even swatting desperately hungry mosquitoes. Rig protection is essential to finishing the trail with something that resembles what you started with. ALL of my protection was put to good use and I'll be busting out the paint can to cover up the redneck chrome before fall gets here.

With the first day showered with sun light, belly's full from breakfast, tent's put away and the rigs packed up we started the trail. I had mixed feelings of excitement and nervousness. With me running a diesel I was designated to trail gunner. I was fine with that because I could see the other's lines and be able to see where I could have potential problems. Dusty and I both ran with roof racks and with him being in front of me I could see where the tree branches would try and play tug-o-war with my strapped down possessions.

Last edited:
I'll interrupt Mikes flow to add a bit and maybe we can do a conglomerated trail report. I'm almost reluctant to do that because this is the best trail on the West Coast and it's nice that it's almost a secret. Because of the deep snow in the winter (up to 60 FEET) the trail is usually closed until late July, and then is only open to early October when the snow flies again. There is a very narrow window to run it.

Regarding the comparisons to Rubicon, it's harder in a wagon. Much harder than Rubicon in a wagon. The trail is extremely tight-as in just wide enough for a Land Cruiser. Then the boulders push you into the trees, and the trees put dents in your truck. Ask me how I know.

Long---For you east coast guys there is no way you can understand this. Imagine the longest trail you have ever done and multiply times 30, then run it continuously over 3 days and it gives an idea of the scope of this trail. Mike is right, it's a mission. Two of the toughest spots are at the very end of the trail, so you have to save some focus to the very very end.

Slow---This trail is narrow with almost constant obstacles. Each day's travel is 6-8 hours of continuous driving and concentration. There are few breaks, and it wears on you from start to finish. When I finished this year I was thinking I didn't need to go 4 wheeling for awhile.

High---This trail has about as much elevation for about as long as any trail you will ever see. All of the trail is above 9000 feet and some is above 10000ft. The trucks are all down on power. The altitude has always caused my plugs to foul on day 2, but that altitude compensating gizmo on the FJ60 must work as that was not an issue this year.

More to come.....

Enough verbiage gents....

I wanna see the dents on Andy's rig.

:)

There is not sufficient bandwidth for this, but if you look in hardcore, under Dusty's build, he posted a bunch of awesome pics.:D

...When I finished this year I was thinking I didn't need to go 4 wheeling for awhile.

That's exactly how I felt too!

Please include whatever experiences you want to share Andy; that goes the same for others that were on the trip too. Mine will come in parts and I'll add pics once I've got them ready. Dusty obviously has some ready so hopefully he'll add a few here too.

Last edited:
Prologue

I love doing this trail and on all 6 previous occasions it has been in my FJ40. This time I took the FJ60 down for some wagon wheeling and improved general comfort. I was joined by Tom (trickyT) who wanted to ride along and not mess up his pristine FJ62. This is a wise choice as every year we acquire new and significant dents, not to mention the engine fire, broken axles, broken sector shaft and general mayhem of this trail. It takes a toll.

The drive from Sacramento to Shaver Lake is about 4 hours and it was much, much easier in the FJ60 with the AC on and the windows closed than in the 40. We met up with Mike and his family in Lodi for company on the drive down. After a stop for some surprising Mexican food in Medera we were soon gassing up in Shaver Lake for the adventure. This trail takes a lot of gas. For me it was stock tank plus three 5 gallon cans. With consumption in the 1 mi/gal range, you need all you can carry.

After leaving Shaver you wind through the Sierras gradually south to Courtright Reservoir. Along the way we stopped to marvel at some giant Sequoias in a grove just before the Courtright turnoff. Just crossing the dam at COurtright is a significant adventure with a 500 foot unfenced drop into the canyon to your right.

We camped just after the start of the trail to rest up for the three day adventure ahead....

To be continued.....

Mckinley grove. Planted about 25 of the 28 yo sapplings there when I was 5 myself. Actually planted more, but only about 25 are still growing. I'd love to take this trail one day. What say you guys about a 55 series on 33s? I saw a NICE greenish exso skelled trailered 55 heading down from Kaiser Pass about 3 weeks ago. :popcorn:

In the interest of subdueing a potential mutiny I got a few pics downloaded last night to put on the thread.

These are some of the giant sequoias and my sis-n-law for size comparison.

2831985070041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2843403520041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2867691860041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2955882860041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2409467000041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

This fallen had engravings on the whole thing.

2130627050041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Some of the views when getting close to courtright dam. Andy is in the shadows.

2029656550041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2853590990041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Here we are at the dam looking at the lake.

2016620130041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the drop off Andy was talking about when driving on the dam. Recovery might be a little challenging.

2716384370041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking back at the road across the dam.

2578178380041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Hard to see but we're at 8100+ft.

2136337930041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Close to our camping spot.

2531718580041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Jenny provided the entertainment and dessert the first night by busting out these monster marshmellows. 1 marshmellow would make 2 smores.

2565860040041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Me trying to get the monster smore in my mouth.

2165063680041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Thus ended the first night.

After packing up and back on the trail we hit the first major climb. Chicken rock. Here's a pic of all of us up on top.

2979892220041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Dora in her loaded down glory.

2900165670041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Throughout the trail we noticed many trees had and spiraling twist to them.

2467958790041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

2859187980041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Here we go.

2393966920041288937S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures Boots. Thanks for letting Dusty and me come along. I'm so impressed with the 'Yota 60s & 80s I'm putting TRD emblems on my Scout. I had been on a couple of trail work crews in 1964-1965 as a teenager. I was expecting to see more familiar sights but only three things hadn't changed; The dam at Courtright lake, Kaiser Pass and MOSQUITOS at Ersham lake. Everything else is different. The trail route up from the dam is different and the trail is much tougher than I remember. The rigs then (small jeeps) had F78x15 tires (about 31"???) and the trail was mostly dirt with rocks sticking up. Now the trail is rocks with much bigger rocks sticking up. Thanks again to all who were there and thanks again for making this such a memorable experience. RR (Osage)

33's are likely doable. but you would need to do a lot of thinking and slow rollin

From the passenger seat my dad continued to comment how my 42" swamper shoded moster wheeled like a bumbling ogre in comparison to his his parked at home, and METICULOUSLY PAINTED, short wheelbased flatfender on 33's. The argument centered on the preface that a shorter, more nimble vehicle could drive around the rocks and trees and thus avoid the dammage that seemed to befall my Lexus ever the more frequently as the trip progressed. Naturally I felt it necessary to defend the attributes of the larger wheeler and tried to explain to my father that wheeling machines had evolved for the better over the years; and that jeeps by their very nature suck.

And just when the argument was getting good , and I felt i had made my point, I would hit another tree with my big truck
CIMG7915.jpg
CIMG7918.jpg
CIMG7920.jpg

just keeps going

I highly suggest u dont put stuff on the roof rack for this trail. I highly highly recommend u dont hastily put a gas can straight up on your roof rack. and if u do, dont put it on the far sides so it gets knocked off all the time and leaves red paint down the side of your truck as it falls to the ground....repeatedly

i recommend you put the gas on the back like Andy does
CIMG7938.jpg
CIMG7942.jpg
CIMG7944.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom