Duratracs not so bueno - advice please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tire shop accidentally put the wrong size Duratracs on my truck last Friday 275/65/18 not 275/70/18 as paid for. This may be my get "out of jail free card" as these tires truly suck on the highway. Truck is noisy and seems as though the parking brake is slightly engaged as the drag is quite noticeable. I can't imagine what a 10 ply E rated 70 would be like. Aggressive looks and offload capabilities have a price after all right?

I drive a lot on the highway towing race bikes across the country with my 2000 LX. Great truck to spend the day in but road noise definitely (as evident over the weekend) will grate on ones soul after a long day in the saddle. Problem is I do drive in dirt and sand with some rocks occasionally otherwise LTX MS would be my buttery pillowtop go to choice. A few years back I did destroy a LTX MS and rip off an A arm and steering knuckle off in a sandwash. We race desert motorcycles - baja, national hare and hound etc. We have an upcoming baja trip on the books hence the newly needed tires.

Over the years I have definitely noticed there are folks on this forum that know their stuff. You guys are a great resource and often find some bright articulate folks who drive these vehicle. So I pose this: What are your thoughts regarding a good road tire that will take some modest offload punishment? I am leaning towards 275/65/18 (non E rating) for a plusher ride and fuel economy due to the long distances we travel for races but am torn between the following

• LTX AT2 as the tire place has recommended for road manners and mild offroad use. Posters have said these tires are junk and one should just go with LTX MS instead. Tirerack also shows mixed reviews for these
  • KO2 (some say they are quiet but I am skeptical) I have two sets of the original KOs on my half ton and 72 blazer love them but they do hum. Much respected for off road use
  • Continental terraincontact A/T seems to offer some offload capability and good road manners. Very highly rated on Tirerack

I did look through other post prior to posting but did not find exactly what I am looking for regarding my specifics. You guys are a great resource and I want to personally thank you as this forum makes it possible for many of us to own these trucks cuz the dealer otherwise would offer poor advice and bleed us dry

I'll throw a couple tires into the mix. My bro has Toyo A/T II and they're comparable to the stock LTX. Super quiet. I have Toyo R/T and they have a very low hum at highway speed. But I Can't hear it if I'm playing music.

As for K02, my friend's Taco has it and it was pretty quiet. Can't notice any road noise if music was playing.

We replaced my son's (worn out) Michelin LTX AT2 (LT285/75R16) with BFG KO2s (also LT285/75R16) in March of this year. The AT2s did everything we asked of them, but my son wanted the KO2s. My biggest gripe about the AT2s was the way they sling gravel.

I really don't notice much ride/noise difference between the two. Both are a heavier LT tire and feel quite a bit different than the OEM P275/70R16 passenger tires did.

Out of curiosity, what do you have the Duratracs inflated to? I know the tire shops around here usually (under)inflate the tires to what's on the door placard. We're running/ran 40psi in both the AT2s & KO2s.

I run 285 K02’s also, been better than I expected after my mud terrains cupped in no time. I run at 45psi and thought it would be a lot stiffer ride. 12k miles in the last four months 3 of those a trip to Ouray and they are really winning me back with this tire.

I’m very happy with my Continental TerrainContact AT tires (275/65r18). They are quiet on the highway, and haven’t let me down yet in the mild rough roads I’ve travelled on. This upcoming week I will be taking them on the beach and beach trails for the first time, and I’m not worried at all (famous last words?).

Thank you for the reply so far. The Duratracs were inflated to 42 psi from the tire shop. I dropped them to 35 and it did improve the stiffness and overall ride. Hood still shakes on the highway - likely a balance issue but the tires definitely make the truck feel for like a tractor than the usually quiet and smooth SUV that it is.

Thank you for the reply so far. The Duratracs were inflated to 42 psi from the tire shop. I dropped them to 35 and it did improve the stiffness and overall ride. Hood still shakes on the highway - likely a balance issue but the tires definitely make the truck feel for like a tractor than the usually quiet and smooth SUV that it is.

I have the LTX A/T2 and they are a great all around tire, not so well in the snow as there is very little siping.

I'd go with the LTX M/S, you liked them before and as long as you're not going hog over rocks I think you'll be fine.
If you were going hard enough to break a A arm then you were going to hard for that tire IMO.

Going to hard - you are right. I don't think any tire would have held up to the bolder I hit at speed traveling.

I ended up going with the Continental terraincontact A/T. Highway manners are as good as the LTX MS. We shall so how it does offroad.

Keep us posted.
This eof us who don't want a beefy a/t tire but still need to get through snow and to the hunting blind and sand dunes need options.

IMO the big 3 tire companies are supremely over rated.

I would rate the as such
1. Bridgestone.
Tie for 3rd. Goodyear and michelin(bfg)

I personally went to coopers. Great tire for the money.
I will never give money to GY or BFG again. They build obscenely overpriced garbage.

Hankook ATM
Falken AT3W
Yokohama AT G015 - recommend these ones

Your problems with the Duratracs are definitely not what I have experienced. I've got two 80's in the family that both run them in 315/75R16, the ride is very good and they're quiet. They're very durable off road as well, but in this size they are load range E so you'd expect that. On the road we run them at 37 psi, 15 psi on the rocks and 10-12 in the sand. Several trips through the Rubicon with these rigs and zero issues. Also, the traction is great, particularly in winter. Another 80 in the family also runs them, but in the smaller 285/75R16. Same thing there, quiet, great ride, great traction, multiple trips through Rubicon and many, many other places on that rig. They are also load range E and never had any sidewall issues. Now on my 60, I used to run them in 33/12.50R15. They were quiet, rode great, and had great traction, but in four times through the Rubicon I tore two sidewalls. The Load Range C rating just wasn't enough. I have them on my Tundra as well and love the ride and low noise and winter rating. If they were available in 37's I would have put them on my 60 after my last round of mods, but they're not so I went with Falken WildPeak Mt's instead in 37/12.50R17. Noticeably less traction on the Rubicon rocks than our 80's on Duratracks when running the same pressures on the same lines. Yeah, I'm practically a walking advertisement for Duratracs (I've got zero connection to the company or anyone who works there). We love their manners on and off the trail, and the winter rating is great for not having to put on chains. My only problems with them have been the two torn sidewalls on the Rubicon in their Load Range C variant, which I don't consider their fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom