Driver's side window problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having issues with my drivers side window on '95 80. Used to be when it was cold it would stick on the way up and occasionally I would have to pull the window up while giving it power. Rolls down generally with no problem. Finally this week I again had to pull it up as I gave it power and makes this awful noise like it's missing threads in the gears and then it's stopped not quite at the top and so whistles when I drive and hitting button just produces awful sound.

Have read a couple other threads that it could be the gears stripped out. I get power so don't think it's the motor but any help would be appreciated before I talk it blindly to some shop. Not sure how difficult a fix it would be but at the very least I could get the parts and identify the problem before handing it over to someone I have to pay to fix. Thanks.

Welcome to Mud. There are tons of threads on this subject but here's a few causes of slow windows IME; most common is probably stiff wornout glass runners, thats the rubber guide the glass rides up and down in. The second most common problem IME is a weak motor; the magnets loose their power over time so the motor produces less torque. With a grinding sound that could be either the gears in the motor or the gears in the regulator slipping; made worse by the stiff window glass runner and/or if the arms of the regulator have slipped off their tracks. If your window is not going all the way up it may point to a regulator problem. The fix will be expensive if you take it to dealer, probably in the neighborhood of $1000. You can do it yourself for $150, an aftermarket Dorman motor from A-zone and a new regulator but if you need a new regulator get a new Toyota part, worth it for this IMHO. Here's a photo of the window regulator without the motor attached. The window glass is mounted onto the horizontal bar at the top of the photo. When the window comes down it winds the coil spring up, when the window comes up the stored energy in the coil spring assists the motor. FWIW.

DS window regulator.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom