Drivers Side Door Fitment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a set of doors for my rig. The passenger side installed with no issues, works great.

I finally cut away some of the extra reinforcing I added so I could install the drives side door. The door is sitting about an inch lower, its hitting the door striker on the bottom, pic below. I have loosen the hinges, striker, door stop and even the door handle mechanism to get it adjusted. I gained about 1/4" doing all that. When I move the door up, it is hitting the windshield frame. Could the windshield frame be in the incorrect position due to the soft top structure? I measured the doors and the door openings on each side. Doors were exact, door opening was within 1/8".

So to keep the door on, I removed the door stop and the door will close and stay closed.

Within a few weeks, I will have a new hardtop, roof sides and rear doors, should I not worry about it and see if the new panels correct the issue?

Thanks all.

Have a safe holiday weekend!

20230407_152717.jpg

20230407_154017.jpg

20230407_154111.jpg

20230407_154118.jpg

20230407_154141.jpg

Probably off because of rust repair. No easy solution. The catches on the tub look to be installed backwards.

Last edited:
the rubber under the windshield frame could be smooshed causing the frame to be more rearward, the softtop pulls the frame to the rear also.

That is what I am kinda hoping. I will have roof and roof sides soon, I hope it corrects the issue.

Thanks

This isn't going to help your doors seating to low in the tub. The strikers should hit the catches on the tub in the middle. The catches on the tub have thin side towards the out side. That way they push the striker in while closing and snap out once past end. Sure you will see wear marks where the strikers was riding in end of the thick side. The outside picture of the driver's door against the rocker panel on the bottom aligning the gasket between the cowl and windshield frame we doing not for the bottom of the door issues.

There is a piece the mounts to the two threaded holes on the end of the door in the picture. Toyota calls it a stop.
20230407_154017.jpg
On the tub what Toyota calls the striker lock is clearly backwards. But because it is it highlights how low the door is. The striker flipped the right way and the stop there is will help. With both in place mounted correctly can loosen all six bolts on the two door and see how much you can adjust the door up on the back side. The door has two floating plates for adjustment. The body side of the hinges are also floating plate. Can't angle the back up but can adjust the front up and down and in and out. Would lower the windshield while doing this. Want to adjust the door to the body first. Doing this will probably make the fitment to the windshield so why figure that out twice. The two knob that hold the windshield up have tube spacers that act as stops. With those missing windshield can hinge to far back.

If that doesn't help think you will need tackle the rocker. Besides the awful repair could be body mounts playing into it. Or frame itself.
20230320_151545.jpg

I took the stop off because the door was so far off it was stopping me from even coming close to closing the door. With the stop off, I can at least close the door while figuring this out. I wonder why the striker was flipped, it must have been a while ago, it took some effort to loosen it. When the FJ comes back home, I will flip the strikers (both sides are flipped), and see if that helps.

Can you post a pick of the two windshield knobs?

I added additional steel to the rocker, whats left of it, as a temp repair. I have a 3/4 alum tub sitting in my yard. That will be installed over the winter, need to get my other project 'finished' before I dive too deep into this truck.

Pics of the hinges on the door ? The cowl side looks good hinge wise and the striker is proper in that pic. Measure the door opening for parrallel to see if the cowl is tilted back, if it is true then its gotta be in the door or the door hinges, when you flipped the striker could it be lowered ?

when you flipped the striker could it be lowered ?

The floating plate in B pillar the striker is screwed to does not have have any where near that much adjustment.

This picture showed it's already as low as it can be adjusted.
20230407_154017.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom