driveline slack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ended up on a harder trail yesterday by mistake, but fun anyways. I have had what seems to be the driveshaft clunk that occasionally happens even in on-road conditions though not often.

I see some have replaced there driveshaft to fix this. Yesterday, when the trail was steep and rocky it seemed to always be slow to engage and then clunk. It really felt like slack in the driveline. I have had this before in other vehicles and usually meant replacing the u-joints.

I greased the joints and slips before this trip and still clunked pretty badly. I am thinking of possibly replacing them. Is this a good idea or should I just consider getting the new driveshaft at some point?

You might be a Pioneer - I don't recall anyone on this forum replacing this drive shafts on a 200 yet. Normally a good grease application makes things go away for a bit. I looked into it a while back just as a informational study and the drive shafts was around $700 I believe.

I replaced my rear drive shaft to cure the clunking sound that a good lube didn't get rid of. I got a deal at under $400 for a genuine Toyota part from a dealer. It was the best mod I made - I cringed hearing that clunking sound every time we stopped and started. (It didn't bother my wife).

There was a TSB about this and a few other threads on the board here....

Yes, there is a TSB, Toyota replaced a lot of them. A couple of trucks that I looked at had the replacement in their service history.

Did you find that deal online or a local dealer? It doesn't do it often for me around town. Offroad on technical spots where your coming to a stop and going again it feels terrible and happens every time.

I was tempted to just replace the joints since who knows how well the previous owners maintained them. Looking like the driveshaft is going to be the appropriate fix though.

I replaced my rear drive shaft to cure the clunking sound that a good lube didn't get rid of. I got a deal at under $400 for a genuine Toyota part from a dealer. It was the best mod I made - I cringed hearing that clunking sound every time we stopped and started. (It didn't bother my wife).

There was a TSB about this and a few other threads on the board here....
you might have been the first on here to do it then :)

Did you find that deal online or a local dealer? It doesn't do it often for me around town. Offroad on technical spots where your coming to a stop and going again it feels terrible and happens every time.

I was tempted to just replace the joints since who knows how well the previous owners maintained them. Looking like the driveshaft is going to be the appropriate fix though.
I did a search for the part number and ended up ordering it from a dealer in Atlanta. (I'm in Charlotte) My local dealer - less than 3 miles away - wouldn't come close to the price. Whereas I prefer to do business locally - this was nearly a $200 difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom