Downey or AA small ft. output problems???

I am swapping a 4l60e into the 40 mated to the 3 speed case with the Downey small adapter.
Downey Off-Road
I need to get the small front output to clear the trans pan. Has anybody seen any strength issues with this output? I drive easy and it will have the auto to soak up some shock but........ The u-joint is for a 280z, i think!! Should I be worried???
Tim

Downey

SILVER Star
NO, and here's why;
(a) the 280Z puts 165 h.p. directly into this u-joint. That means the u-joint better have been made to take atleast 200 h.p.
(b) your transfer-case is not only a gear splitter, it is also a power splitter. It can put 100% of your h.p. into the rear drive shaft in 2WD, but can put only 50% of your h.p. into the front drive shaft in 4WD.
(c) even if you had a 400 h.p. engine that could put 200 h.p. into the front u-joint, you still have drivetrain cushioning because of the fluid drive.
(d) yes, we took a chance putting a miniturized part on the market, but so far they have withstood the test of time, and we have lucked out!!!

Thats what I was told when I called you guys. The transfer case is also a torque multiplier, correct? I am really not TOO worried about it because if it was a big problem then surely it would not be on the market. I was just looking for some first hand experience on this smaller joint.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom