Double din install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought my 80 with an aftermarket radio. Single din with the cubby hole underneath. I’m looking to upgrade to a double din but from what I’ve found, you’re supposed to take the factory brackets and transfer them over to your new double din since the factory stereo was also a double. Since I never had the factory stereo, doesn’t anyone know where I could find them? Or am I completely wrong in my thinking?

Thanks
Gabe

Crutchfields would be the site I would look for, they have the full kit to fit the 80. The brackets will be slightly different by brand of radio, some wold have an extra set of screws for cubby under the single DIN, so to go to double doesnt require a new bracket.
But I would use Crutchfields for easy one stop shop, radio, bracket, harness. And usually the radio comes with bracket and harness as a free "install kit"

Right. That’s where I got the info from. Looking for part numbers, I don’t feel like dealing with the dealer parts guy, I’d rather be prepared

3EBE15B3-6C99-412E-9F31-69598383D4B8.png

The double din brackets are typically the same bracket used to hold a single din and a cubby. I have done several double/single swaps (but not on an 80) and never needed new brackets. YMMV.

Many double din are actually single with a double din face. Example below. The brackets were likely used to mount your single. If you’re concerned pull out the current unit and have a look.

910DC453-A685-4B9D-8DA0-5A250FB921E4.jpeg

Look for a part out. Somebody’s got these laying around. But as someone else mentioned, they might be on your existing single din stereo already. Pull it and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom