Door mirror opinion/option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Like I said, lostmarbles showed how to do it, Spector has a picture of their aftermarket arms on the back side also. If I had the mounting spot for the newer mirrors, I really would use the euro/aussie mirrors, they look great and bolt right on to a newer door.

There is a roll pin and a spring. I think the tough part is getting a rod the same diameter, it is probably metric rod.

The early doors do not have the threaded holes in the door for the later mirrors, nor do they have the reinforcements or strength in that area of the door to properly support a mirror. The CCOT solution to this was a template and some plastic inserts you drove into the early door to thread screws into, not what I want.

You beat me Tom. What is local time for you right now? it is 1PM for me.

You are correct, if you are used to the late arms, then ya they look funny. You can see the drivers stock arm in my first pic peeking out. I guess the double bend and downward swoop makes them a little more stylish. I thought they looked like last minute add-ons, like Toyota forgot mirrors and came up with a weird arm to get the mirror back past the wing window.

You beat me Tom. What is local time for you right now? it is 1PM for me.

You are correct, if you are used to the late arms, then ya they look funny. You can see the drivers stock arm in my first pic peeking out. I guess the double bend and downward swoop makes them a little more stylish. I thought they looked like last minute add-ons, like Toyota forgot mirrors and came up with a weird arm to get the mirror back past the wing window.

I'm living your tomorrow right now .... It's 8am Tuesday here...:D

I was thinking it was very late night/early morning for you, guess not, good morning, thanks for the feedback.

How's my future look?

Here's a view inside the mounting-base of these later-style mirrors:
View attachment 958725
(As you can see, corrosion can be a problem ..... but maybe that was the result of my young foster-brother "helping me" one day during a ferry crossing by washing my mirror with salt water that he'd scooped out of the sea by reaching over the side.)

I think the way I modified my arms is easier than trying to replace the entire arm, but then I admit I do have a lathe and oxyacetylene set here...

I turned up a mild steel collar that fitted the original arm on one end and fitted some 16mm stainless rod for my new mirrors at the other end.

I could have eliminated welding by choosing a press-fit at both ends .... but instead I chose to turn for looser fits and to produce nicely curved joints by silver brazing.

Nice job on your mirror arms! Those look well made and can tell that you put forth attention to detail. Maybe I'll look to find another set of arms and do something similar.

Like I said, lostmarbles showed how to do it, Spector has a picture of their aftermarket arms on the back side also. If I had the mounting spot for the newer mirrors, I really would use the euro/aussie mirrors, they look great and bolt right on to a newer door.

There is a roll pin and a spring. I think the tough part is getting a rod the same diameter, it is probably metric rod.

The early doors do not have the threaded holes in the door for the later mirrors, nor do they have the reinforcements or strength in that area of the door to properly support a mirror. The CCOT solution to this was a template and some plastic inserts you drove into the early door to thread screws into, not what I want.
Thanks for the info...

These are the euro/aussie mirrors you mention..... They look good, but will cost some coin. But, like anything else, if you want them, you'll pay for them.

166-01E-E_i-big1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes they are pricey, but probably the quickest solution for the later door.

Here is the original next to the new, of course it would have mounted on the hinge, but you get the idea. Sorry for the poor photos, had to put the phone past my ear to get the perspective right.
1027142007.jpg
1027142004.jpg

A comparison, right to left, new to old. Like I said before, they are only 2-3 inches wider than what I had, but I do like the view.

I'll take a better pic of my plate and the bolt pattern. They are almost bolt on, except the holes in the new mirrors are about one bolt width too wide, otherwise they might have bolted right to the hinge out of the box. I need to paint my plates, but the rain let up so maybe I will mount the drivers and try it out too.
1023142020a.jpg
1027142005.jpg

What are the measurements of the mirror head?
I forgot to measure, but the ad said 6x8 inches for the mirror head. I think that is what the chrome ones are I have now too. Benefit is that they are convex.

Those latest pics prove the superiority of your new mirrors (in both "looks" and "being fit for purpose") MoCo

:)

It's not too hard to remove the stock arms and places like Parker Steel supply sells metric-sized rod in lengths . I could take a stock mount and easily bend up whatever shape you want and add whatever end you want . Have a tig , full torch including demo torch for super-heating and a Howron bender setup . I've considered different heads on mine , got some knockoffs on there now that are junk and won't stay in place in high winds . Hate the heads too and honestly prefer flat glass on mine .
Sarge

on 1st appearance they look little long, but as Tom says its the newer truck bias ... I think they look good ... I'd leave them as is ...

Did you consider mounting the mirror arm base to the lower side of the windshield hinge?
You obviously loose mirror movement when the door opens, so the door limiter arms are key to prevent the door from impacting the mirror head or arm.

I looked at mounting them on the body like that some. It would either take a bracket to set them out towards the hood to get some movement back in them, or bend the arms perhaps to curve back. Just straight out they would be way long, at least this product. It would also really limit door opening as you said. With the early doors, I wanted the mirror back in clear view behind the wing window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom