Door Lock Control Relay Issue - 97' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Consulting the hive here for some help with sorting out issues with power locks.

When using my key in the drivers-side door, drivers door will unlock the drivers side door but it wont unlock all other doors. If I lock the drivers door using the key it will lock that door along with all of the other doors. Just won't unlock them.

When I use the key in the passenger-side door, I can unlock or lock all doors (including drivers door) from that side.

I pulled the panel today to check for any loose connections or wires but wasn't able to find much. I wasn't exactly sure where the lock/unlock trigger actually fires from and wasn't able to make much sense of it from the electrical wiring diagram.

Screenshot 2021-08-24 163024.jpg

Other supplemental info:
I have Toyota TVSS but I don't have any fobs. From what I can tell under the seat, the box is plugged in at least.. The TVSS dash monitor is broken and flopping around though so part of me thinks this isn't actually working.

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7547.jpg

Does this switch relay the key cylinder position?
IMG_7544.jpg

Open to any ideas here if someone has tackled a similar problem.

Check the drivers side kick panel to see if there is some wiring cruft from the alarm still installed.

A lot of people pull the box but not the wiring and it can cause issues.

If you put the key in the drivers door lock and turn it once - it will unlock the drivers door only. If you turn it a second time it will unlock all the doors.

Also worth remembering that when testing the door locks, that having a door open will stop any of the doors from locking - either by using the the key or the master switch.
In addition winding down the drivers window so you can activate the locks from the master switch with the door closed will result in the doors not opening due to a security feature designed to stop someone breaking the window and opening the car from the switch.
2 weeks ago i knew neither of these little gems. Makes testing door locks or fitting a remote access system a trifle complicated.

Well I did my best to free up the ECU from underneath the seat and looks like I was way wrong. I actually have the RS3000 VIP Security system. I punched the green program button and it looks like its still wired up to the sensor as I got some blinks out of it.

If you put the key in the drivers door lock and turn it once - it will unlock the drivers door only. If you turn it a second time it will unlock all the doors.
I've read this previously and two turns in the drivers door does not unlock all doors for my cruiser. Would be nice if it did.

Looking at the RS3000 manual I don't exactly see anything in there that would determine or disable the drivers door unlock functionality. Am I missing something there? I don't have a fob but I'll put one on order just to test the functionality of the system.

HELP, I am following this now and read your posts so far. I have a 97 also and it's having the same although for both driver and passenger sides. Here are the facts:
No fobs. Key in door only unlocks that door and none of the others. ON top of that, the power lock switches do not work either. I have tested the door switches and both sides are working. You can manually lock and unlock all doors. I had recently taken out an aftermarket alarm but the locks worked for several months after removing.

Nathovi, have you had any luck yet? Anyone have any other suggestions?

HELP, I am following this now and read your posts so far. I have a 97 also and it's having the same although for both driver and passenger sides. Here are the facts:
No fobs. Key in door only unlocks that door and none of the others. ON top of that, the power lock switches do not work either. I have tested the door switches and both sides are working. You can manually lock and unlock all doors. I had recently taken out an aftermarket alarm but the locks worked for several months after removing.

Nathovi, have you had any luck yet? Anyone have any other suggestions?

So I think the curveball in my case was the fact that I ended up discovering that I actually have the VIP Security system and that it was still wired/functioning. I ordered a new keyfob from eBay and was able to program it and get it to cycle all the doors correctly (though the range is laughably bad, I literally have to be touching the door to get it to work). Since my keyless system works my plan is to just do the Antenna Mod to extend the range and make the keyless entry more usable. If I have time I'll see if there's maybe a mode I have the system in that is preventing the correct door unlock behavior with the key since that still doesn't work for me.

Since you aren't getting unlocks from either door, my first guess would be something in the Door Control Relay or the door close sensors. My hope with creating this thread initially was finding someone whos more familiar with the lock circuit from that relay, specifically the action when the key cylinders are used.

After someone here suggested double checking that nothing was remaining from the security system, I found through threads here that there's a lot to the system. Definitely do some research to make sure you've deleted it all if that's your intention.

Same problem, but on a '91. Used to work to unlock all doors with the double-turn key maneuver, now only unlocks the driver door. Still locks all doors when using the key in the door lock. Nothing visibly damaged or unplugged inside the door, kick panel, or under dash. Not sure how to troubleshoot or what to check?

So I think the curveball in my case was the fact that I ended up discovering that I actually have the VIP Security system and that it was still wired/functioning. I ordered a new keyfob from eBay and was able to program it and get it to cycle all the doors correctly (though the range is laughably bad, I literally have to be touching the door to get it to work). Since my keyless system works my plan is to just do the Antenna Mod to extend the range and make the keyless entry more usable. If I have time I'll see if there's maybe a mode I have the system in that is preventing the correct door unlock behavior with the key since that still doesn't work for me.

Since you aren't getting unlocks from either door, my first guess would be something in the Door Control Relay or the door close sensors. My hope with creating this thread initially was finding someone whos more familiar with the lock circuit from that relay, specifically the action when the key cylinders are used.

After someone here suggested double checking that nothing was remaining from the security system, I found through threads here that there's a lot to the system. Definitely do some research to make sure you've deleted it all if that's your intention.
Thanks for responding. The relay is next on my list along with chasing any remaining items from the old aftermarket alarm.

Try holding the key fob against your chin (mouth closed) when you're 20 feet away from the truck.

I thought this was BS until I had a friend of mine show me. It turns your head into an antenna. Keep doing it until you see how far away you can get.

I found my RS3000 alarm had a wire that ran all the way across under the dash from left to right and ended above the glove box. Very well placed and clipped together under the dash.
I never had a key fob either, and one day the alarm decided to go off and shut down the truck. Had to unlock the door, disconnect the battery, let it clear, then start over. Ripped it out that night. No problems since. My doors unlock driver's with one turn, all with two turns. Been working now for 5 years.

Try holding the key fob against your chin (mouth closed) when you're 20 feet away from the truck.

I thought this was BS until I had a friend of mine show me. It turns your head into an antenna. Keep doing it until you see how far away you can get.

I found my RS3000 alarm had a wire that ran all the way across under the dash from left to right and ended above the glove box. Very well placed and clipped together under the dash.
I never had a key fob either, and one day the alarm decided to go off and shut down the truck. Had to unlock the door, disconnect the battery, let it clear, then start over. Ripped it out that night. No problems since. My doors unlock driver's with one turn, all with two turns. Been working now for 5 years.
I've actually used that trick a couple times and it does work better! So ridiculous. Still think I'll save myself from looking like an idiot and splice a better solution in for the antenna. There's a few good write-ups out there on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom