door hinge pins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rivet gun...

I went through hours of cursing and knuckle busting on this.

Brought out the rivet gun..... the pins were out in seconds. I could have kicked myself for not thinking of this sooner.

A rivet gun is essentially an air hammer used to pound rivets into place. Used a great deal in aircraft maintenance. If you can find one it is clearly worth the effort...

I went through hours of cursing and knuckle busting on this.

Brought out the rivet gun..... the pins were out in seconds. I could have kicked myself for not thinking of this sooner.

A rivet gun is essentially an air hammer used to pound rivets into place. Used a great deal in aircraft maintenance. If you can find one it is clearly worth the effort...

Thanks.... I got a attachment for my air hammer that may work... good idea... :idea:

One thing we do in aircraft maintenance when installing and removing axles from landing gear is cold soaking the metal. We use liquid nitrogen to shrink the metal which gives you .001 clearance to get the axles out of the seats. You could get some dry ice and pack it around the hinge pin for about 20 minutes then hit it with the air hammer. It might give you a little help.

I got 3 out of 4 with an air hammer and a lot of pb blaster. The 4th one is still in there.

On mine, there was enough of a gap in the hinge mechanism to squeeze in an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel to cut the pin in half. It was much easier to work the pin out in two pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom