Does modifying my vehicle void my warranty? Do I need an extended lexus warranty (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to get a platinum extended warranty from Lexus but I have some questions. I have 6 months left on my 2017

I eventually want to do a lift/rock sliders, but does that void my warranty? Does adding different rims/tires also void warranty?

I test drove a previous GX 460 from car max and it had an oil leak, it was only a test drive so I returned it. I found a better low mileage 460 which I'm driving now.

Am I wasting my time/money thinking about a Lexus warranty?

The lowest I've found is 2500, and I understand, I could just save that money and use it toward repairs WHEN they happen

For reference I drove/still have a 99 4runner with 260k miles and did repairs even now and then which still totals less than 3000

Thank you

According to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty of your vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part was the cause of or contributed to the failure of the vehicle (15 U.S.C. 2302 (C)). This means that a vehicle’s warranty cannot be “voided;” the dealer can only deny a claim if the stock part failed due to damage or unreasonable use.

One thing to keep in mind is you are driving one of the most reliable vehicles ever made.

Buying an extended warranty is making a bet against the company that issues the warranty. If you invest the $2500, and your investment appreciates, chances are you will do better financially than buying the warranty. If your vehicle doesn't have a major problem, you win big.

Reactions: r2m
Warranties are designed to make someone money....

One thing to keep in mind is you are driving one of the most reliable vehicles ever made.

Buying an extended warranty is making a bet against the company that issues the warranty. If you invest the $2500, and your investment appreciates, chances are you will do better financially than buying the warranty. If your vehicle doesn't have a major problem, you win big.
True. I found a dealership to do 2100, but I’m leaning toward not getting it. I’m only spooked right now because that carmax 460 I test drive had a topside oil leak at 26k miles, otherwise I would have purchased that car

Warranties are designed to make someone money....
I agree with you

Personally, my 2012 460 has been the least reliable Toyota product I’ve owned (this is my 5th Toyota).

I have had a timing cover leak, water pump leak, air valve issue. The cover leak and air valves are known issues with this car. I now have a radiator leak and the timing cover leak is back with a vengeance.

I've never purchased an extended warranty on any vehicle and always advise against it. You could spend an extra $500 to meet the minimum $3000 investment required to open a Vanguard index fund, and you'll end up with $4800 over the next 5 years at 10% return. $4800 will pay for a lot of repairs.

With what you wrote about your 99 4Runner with 260k miles and only $3k into repairs. Also consider that you average less than 12,000 miles/year. I'm 99% confident you will out run your warranty before you get a chance to use it. If you were stacking on 30-40k miles/year, then I'd consider a warranty.... (maybe...) 🤔
Our last half dozen vehicles have all been Toyotas and when we got rid of them, they all had 250,000+ miles. We did not get rid of them because of mechanical issues, but the paint and interior was just getting too tired (peeling paint, a little rush, worn out leather, etc.) and we wanted something newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom