Dobinsons IMS Vs. Bilstein 6112 (1 Viewer)

Which would you choose?

• Dobinsons IMS

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Bilstein 6112/5160

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess I have 700 lb springs then lol. I did get the 6112s with heavy "650" springs from Battleborn (would not recommend) last year shortly after they launched. For stock, I would still go with the heavier rate springs vs the 600 lb ones. The FJ was a lot lighter than the GX thanks to the v8 and heavier body (500+ lb total difference). I think you'd be hitting bump stops all the time on 600 springs. Like I said earlier though, the ride with what I guess is the 700 lb springs is perfectly fine, just more firm than the 10 year old oem ones I replaced. I can't recall what perches I set them on before the bumper/winch, but it was somewhere in the middle. 650s would probably be the sweet spot for a stock GX though.
I'm in the same boat here although I have them on the bottom perch (2nd driver side). Always thought I was special being on the bottom perch and not wanting any additional height.
Ride comfort has been no issue. I will say though that I notice the bottom bushing is starting to look pretty worn after roughly 15k. This is not a one-off issue as I see on Tacomaworld that a few others have required the same bushing replacement. Toyota part #90389-A0001.
Details here

Try spraying the rubber bushings with at-205 at-205 - Google Search - https://www.google.com/search?q=at-205&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari#fpstate=imgv&imgv=0

Scotty Kilmer on YouTube says this helps keep the bushings happy/moist and fat.

I just went out to check my bottom bushings on the 6112s and I can’t see mine too good but don’t see any deformation . Over 4 years and over 40k miles. Also, I’m on the 2nd circlip from the top.

And my stock oem bumpstops look good in front and rear. Rear bump stops are about 4.5” away from axle, so they rarely hit axle because they are far away due to rear lift around 2.5” high.

So, good weather in so cal and the right lift around 2.25” in front and 2.5” in rear with not much extra weight has been good to my bump stops and bushings!

And I recently sprayed AT-205 on all bushings per Scotty!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom