Do recovery winches usually turn "OFF" when they wind in all the way ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked at the specs on many ATV and other winches and none of them talk about an automatic shut down if they wind in all the way and the operator forgets or his remote control doesn't work.

I have an application where I need a winch that will turn OFF when its fully "in". Maybe all winches do this, but its never mentioned in the specs.

I have looked at the specs on many ATV and other winches and none of them talk about an automatic shut down if they wind in all the way and the operator forgets or his remote control doesn't work.

I have an application where I need a winch that will turn OFF when its fully "in". Maybe all winches do this, but its never mentioned in the specs.

I've never had or seen one that did that. Not to say that it couldn't be done, but it's not common.

Nope, the motor will still power even with rope wound in....this is why I have a battery disconnect to winch in case winch activates with a short or something when not in use...

Cranes have limit switches (often two or even more; geared, programmed, and/or mechanical) to prevent two-blocking. You could build a limit switch to secure power to the winch as the hook approaches the fairlead. I don't know of a 4x4 winch with such a limit switch.

I had my 8274 continue running with the switch off after a hard pull and I and another guy desperately banged on the control with rocks until a solenoid opened and it quit running. After that, I installed a disconnect switch between the battery and the winch.

I had my 8274 continue running with the switch off after a hard pull and I and another guy desperately banged on the control with rocks until a solenoid opened and it quit running. After that, I installed a disconnect switch between the battery and the winch.

Another advantage of converting from four solenoids to a single contactor; the contactor is supposed to (designed to anyway) to stay open if it fails.

Its why remotes have spring switches, so they fail or stop in the OFF position. Also why standard winch speeds are low,
to be able to control/anticipate the torque.
I've been watching a lot of recovery TV lately and those guys just never take their eyes off anything when
their hands are on the controls, as they should.

I'm sure curious as to what application for a winch you have that you require a blind OFF position?

Another advantage of converting from four solenoids to a single contactor; the contactor is supposed to (designed to anyway) to stay open if it fails.
I don't know. In my case, the contacts of two individual solenoids had to weld together to keep running. With an Albright, only one set has to weld together to cause the same problem. I feel safer with the battery disconnect solenoid that I installed. ML Solenoid - 12V DC - Blue Sea Systems

On my FJ62 I run a battery switch between my dual batteries and my M12000. This keeps the winch power disconnected until I want to have it on.

On my 4Runner I have an anderson connector next to my 8274 so if there is a problem I can unplug it.

Had a winch get stuck on while winding in and attached to another rig. Quick-thinker turned the clutch lever to freespool and it gave the owner time to unhook the battery. Thankfully it was just pulling out of a snowdrift so wasn’t a critical pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom