1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY roll up canopy?

Discussion in 'Camping & Outdoor Gear' started by Vitesse_6, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Cant seem to find the link for it, Any one have it?
    Its the one in the PVC tube that you cut a hole along it for the canopy to roll up in...
    Many thanks
    :cheers:

2. RHINO

RHINO

got a real simple one for ya, get 1-1/2" PVC and two caps, cut a slit all the way down, get 1/2" PVC cut to 1" longer than 1-1/2" tube with caps on and cut a slit all the way down. put tarp edge in 1/2" and roll up tight, slide into 1-1/2" tube. use a hole saw to cut a hole in each 1-1/2" cap to fit 1/2" PVC tight. glue the caps on. make a handle for one end and you have a windup canopy. at least thats how i did mine.:beer:

3. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    What kind of PVC are you using that does not distort from the heat?

4. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

This is the one I was looking for, I thought soemone did a writeup on one.
    Thanks

5. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

The write up I saw used White PVC I dont know anything other than that, Maybe Sch-40 for durability might be good?

6. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

7. RHINO

RHINO

the white kind:flipoff2: but i was smart and dont just have it mounted on both ends, its absolutely amazing what supporting a structure through its length can do.

it was actually just hose clamped on the roof rack, i had two clamps on each end around the caps, those stayed on all the time, then i had 3 more that not only supported the thing during non-use but kept it closed also. those 3 came off when i wanted to use it. i had it one for over a year before removing the roof rack, it never distorted. right now i am building a foldable version for the shorter trailer. basically, the PVC part is just cut in half lengthwise and i cut and sewed the tarp in such a way that it folds in half to roll into the tube. when in use it can either be a roof and one wall shelter or with a 3rd pole it becomes a shade twice as wide as the tube its housed in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  8. sirenmoses

sirenmoses

rhino: how bout pix & a write up? searched your threads & didn't see one. gracias!

9. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

Bump for this.
    I have made myself a canopy, It roll's up real nice but I cant seem to get it to unroll without alot of hastle, I even enlarged the opening to see if that will help, But it didnt, My issue is when unrolling it the next wrap of tarp wants to come out along with the outer most, I need to stuff it back in to pull it out, I only get a few inches before I need to stuff it all back in, I wonder if I have too heavy of a tarp, That being industrial grade.
    Now I have yet to mount it on the vehicle, I wanted to see if I could manage it before I put it on, I am also doing it by myself, I wonder if it would be good to have one person keep a little tention on it to have a tighter wrap?!?
    Now im just rambling....
    If any of you have any thought feel free to post up.
    Thanks

Crap, Re-reading the link I posted, I may need even a larger opening, Im running about a 1" opening, The link has almost a 1 3/4" opening......
    Still if you have any thought I would love to hear them

10. photogod

photogod

I would think that if you had a good deal of tension on the tarp when you rolled it up that would make a great deal of difference. Then the wrap would be nice and tight and you wouldn't get the tarp wraping on its self. JMHO.

11. latinoguy

latinoguy

Media:
    Albums:
    thread revival...

How about some pics of your DYI canopy?

12. Vitesse_6

Vitesse_6

I have it built, But I cant get it out of the tube :eek: I think I needed to wind it up tighter so it wouldnt snag on the rivets, I also need to mount it to the J-Moose
    I will post up what I get it figured out, It was more of an experiment.