DIY Auto-Fill Tire Inflator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lastgreatroadtrip.com
Air down when going off road helps alto... but IH8 to air back up because it always seems to be cold, dark and rainy when I finally get off the trail. After searching the interwebs and coming up empty, I decided to make my own automatic tire inflator using an in-line air tool regulator. BTW: I know a power tank makes quick work of airing up, but on long trips like Baja, with lots of airing up and down... tanks run dry.

This video shows you what I came up with in order to never have to sit next to my tires in the rain again!

if you like this idea and want to build one yourself you can find a parts list at How to make a automatic tire inflator. I've tested this setup tons of times now and it works great. The looks on guys faces that are sitting next to their tires airing up when I walk away and then hear it automatically stop because it's done :)

Connect this to an on-board air system and you really go something!

Let me know what you think.

Does this fill at high pressure until it reachs the setting? Or just put out however many PSI its set to?

It restricts the PSI out to the tire and stops when the tire/regulator reaches equilibrium. I set the regulator to 48 which is about half what my little pump can put out. This regulator allows 15 scfm so speed is a combo of bandwidth as latency (network geek).

you can put in on the compressor outlet port and 4 hoses so you can inflate 4 tires at time ! ( if you compressor can do it )

you can put in on the compressor outlet port and 4 hoses so you can inflate 4 tires at time ! ( if you compressor can do it )
I've thought about that... but I would probably just trip over all those hoses :) But match that up with a real on-board air system (tank and all) and you have a winner!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom