DIY 100ah Lithium Battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On this trip, after 4 days in the bear box, I was down to 40ah or so. Pretty sure I've had it down to 25ah on a trip before. When I first built it, I ran it all the way to 0ah once or twice to test the capacity.

I usually account for 10ah running the fridge overnight while on a trip. That's from shutting the truck off after driving all day until the sun hits the panel in the morning. Inside a house at room temps for all day with no charging, you could probably average 20-25ah for the day, plus or minus. 50ah battery might be good for 2 days?

That’s kind of what I was thinking and with solar in the mix, probably endless with 50ah for my set up.

That’s kind of what I was thinking and with solar in the mix, probably endless with 50ah for my set up.

Yep. My fridge has been running in my truck since it cooled off after last summer. My 100watt panel tops it off every day. Hardly ever gets below 85ah. I'll probably have to pull it out soon since the temps in the truck are going to get above 140f before long. Not good for the battery storage.

Starting my build and need some input.

I was going to place the cells in the same orientation as the OP. Just want to make sure that this does not damage them in anyway.

lithium build.jpg

I was going to place the cells in the same orientation as the OP. Just want to make sure that this does not damage them in anyway.

I've been running this setup for over two years. Batteries have been fine in this orientation with no issues.

If you'd prefer to ask input from others, check out diysolarforum.com

Plenty of threads there about building your own batteries.

View attachment 3325796

Check the spec sheet on those cells. Prismatic cells generally like to be in the terminals up orientation, but some manufacturers are ok with laying them on the narrow side down. I think most all manufacturers do not want them laying on the wide side down.

And you will want to build some form of structure to put them under a little compression on the wide sides for maximum longevity.

Thanks for the replies, good to know that you have not had any issues.

I read the same thing, it should be ok with the narrow side down, just not the wide side down.

Will likely do the same as Otter and place large Zip ties around the 4 cells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom