Distributor Wiring Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am finally replacing the remy delco distributor that was in the 40 (1973 original F 155) with a vacuum advance I got from SOR. When I put the new one in
  1. do I connect the green wire on the left to the same connection point as the black wire on the right? Is that green wire the negative coming off the distributor? If I do that, can I just get rid of the black one on the right?
  2. Or ... there is another connection point on the other side of the new distributor where I could connect the green. Then would I ground the black wire?
  3. or something different?
1655556944440.png

Thanks!

The distributor gets two hot wires, one from the "high tension" lead (I have no idea where that came from, there's no "tension" on that lead, but it's been called that as long as I can remember) of the center terminal of the coil, one from the harness. It appears your harness-side connector housing was removed and replaced with a ring terminal. Your Toyota distributor (on the right) has the correct female connector housing. As a temp fix, you can cram the harness lead in the distributor connector housing, tape it shut, and it'll work. @Coolerman has the correct 40 series terminals and connector housings; you may have to contact him to get the correct male for your harness side; I didn't see it on the website.

The distributor is grounded to the block. That's one reason why you have a block ground (the other is for the fuel cutoff solenoid on the carb). The condenser also needs to be connected, to the points, and grounded on the distributor frame.

“High tension” is an electrical term for bucketing wires into that carry more than 1000 volts (IIRC) which applies to the coil wire at 30k volts 🤷‍♂️.

do I connect the green wire on the left to the same connection point as the black wire on the right? Is that green wire the negative coming off the distributor? If I do that, can I just get rid of the black one on the right?
That will work. I'd keep the black wire so if some day you get the proper connector & wire to replace the green (not stock) wire & terminal.
This may help.

Ignition #1b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom