Distributor wiring Qs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a 78’ vac advance/retard distributor and a coil/igniter from a mid eighties fj60 that I want to use to replace the vac retard setup in my 74’ fj40. The truck was rewired with a painless kit by the previous owner. Can anyone point me in the right direction to correctly wire this up.

Also, what’s the appropriate way to vent the distributor cap on the 78’? I have the complete 78’ 2f for any parts I may need.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the WD.
78 Ignition 001.jpg

Also, what’s the appropriate way to vent the distributor cap on the 78’?

This is detailed in the "2F Engine Emission Control Repair Manual" which is available here on Mud somewhere, for a free download (can't remember who has it, but it's here). If you can't find it, I have a PDF copy of it for the 1981 year model that I could send you if you PM me with an email address. Not sure if your '78 is exactly the same as my ('79-built) 1980, but for the later trucks the dizzy vent system uses a Vacuum Switching Valve to apply manifold vacuum to the dizzy cap and dump the results into the air cleaner. Keeps the dizzy ozone, rust, and explosion-free.

A 78 just has a port on the stock air cleaner for vacuum and uses a filter assembly on the firewall. In this photo you can see the black hose going up to the air cleaner from the dizzy cap and the red hose going to the firewall.

IMG_2706.JPG

Appreciate the replies! Now, since my truck has a painless wiring harness( for the sake of colored wires) looking at the above diagram do I still need to source a condenser or can I run the IGN wire directly to the POS of the coil? Also, does the WB wire on the ignitor have to go to the voltage regulator, as in is it required?

White/black is ground and the condenser is just for noise suppression. The grounds are all just shown as common on the diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom