Disk brake conversion for rear FF write up (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dave. That helps alot. Quite a bit of difference... Any chance you've got a pic of the factory disc brake hub that goes on that sucker? Be cool to see one of them next to a factory drum rear hub...

-Ferg-

The 70 series disc hub is identical to the drum hub. The rotor mounts from the outside. The reason the spindle is longer is to provide room for the parking brake mechanism.

Dave

Sorry. I was meaning to see the 80 series disc rear hub with the WMS further out next to that of the 60 series rear hub. So you are saying the 70 series rear drum and rear disc hubs are identical... And the 80 series rear hub identical to them? So a 70 series drum hub and 60 series drum hub are NOT the same? From the looks of the spindles in those pics, it seems like it would be pretty much impossible to retrofit the 70/80 series disc setup to the 60 series. Damn. I wish we had more of this stuff just kickin' around the states so I could see it more easily... And experiment with them more easily.

-Ferg-

No, the 80 hub is different than 70 hubs. The 40, 60 and 70 hubs are identical, these are also identical in dimensions to the older 40 except for shape of the WMS. I don't have an 80 rear axle but search the For Sale section at Pirate where Pjohnson has / had one for sale.

Not sure if you can torch or grind all that mounting flange then fab a metal bracket the shape of an 80 mounting flange. Seems a lot of work for me.

Better if you buy an 80 rear axle then convince a guy with a factory 70 series disk axle to swap his hubs and rotors with yours so you get 3" narrower and he gets 3" wider. Sounds like a win-win proposition :)

Dave

theferg, SOR sells a parking brake conversion kit for the split transfercase. I used it when I installed an H55F in my 76 HJ-45. The kit works great. I believe they even have the kit listed on the front of their webpage now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom