Disconnecting AWD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HGB

Threads
Is there a quick and easy way to disconnect AWD and allow for some fun off-road for day trips? Let's say that can be done within a couple hours or less? Obviously I would require a solution that doesn't harm the truck. Just want to be able to spin a few donuts in the sand :)

No sir

Is there a quick and easy way to disconnect AWD and allow for some fun off-road for day trips? Let's say that can be done within a couple hours or less? Obviously I would require a solution that doesn't harm the truck. Just want to be able to spin a few donuts in the sand :)

Yes, buy a Sequoia.

Not quick nor easy.

I guess you could activate the center diff lock and remove the front driveshaft.. but getting it out would require dropping the transmission crossmember, as far as I know.

I guess you could activate the center diff lock and remove the front driveshaft.. but getting it out would require dropping the transmission crossmember, as far as I know.
The ECM would go BONKERS. Dealer would then schedule a vacation to Hawaii with diag labor profit to fix it.

The ECM would go BONKERS. Dealer would then schedule a vacation to Hawaii with diag labor profit to fix it.
Transmission crossmember does not need to be removed and the ECU doesn’t care. No codes will be thrown.

I put a 1,000 miles on my 200 with the Center locked and front prop shaft out. That all said, fuel economy didn’t change and wear items would be the same. Really no reason to do it in something as powerful as the 5.7.

If I was overseas with a 4.0, yeah definitely.

As for why the ECU doesn’t care.. if the CDL is engaged it doesn’t even know the shaft is out. The locked diff sends all power to the rear wheels, the front output flange would just spin along as if there were a shaft there. Same story for the front hubs and cvs.. the ABS tone rings would get driven by the front wheels on the ground. Other than that there are no sensors to detect anything amiss.

Now I do think CDL activation disengages elements of the stability and traction control systems.. Maybe that’s what Eric was referring to.. though it sounds like traction control disabled would be perfect for what the OP wanted to do. I don’t think this would break anything though.

Last edited:
I'm about to remove my front shaft as well.. ( doing the Tundra long arm swap and the 4.3 ratio front axle swap at the same time) I not prepared to swap the rear axle ratio yet so I'll drop the front shaft so i can still drive the rig.... thanks for the input @Taco2Cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom