GM Dirt Dobbers 03 suburban build

Joined
Nov 27, 2015
Messages
160
Location
SE MO
tore it all down and started back with the corvette servo, it has you cut four oil passages in the plate I started out with a large file and cut small squares in it only to find out they were covered by the snap ring when installed so I broke out the flap wheel and opened them up and still barely clear the snap ring but I didn't want to cut out the bend fearing I would weaken the plate. installed larger boost valve in the pump (very long nosed snap ring pliers needed to make it easy). Drilled the separator plate all directions was clear except for the 1-2 shift hole stock its drilled .065" but said it could be drilled to no larger than .073 well the kit does not come with a .070-.073 drill so I found one that was just barely larger than the factor hole and went for it, cleaned and replaced springs in every piston in the valve body, installed all the pin less actuator pistons, this is where it kind of got confusing,

Transgo gives one set of instructions and Sonnax gives another when it comes to how the pistons should be set in the bore....I installed it the transgo way and hoped for the best.

The transmission gasket was baked on I used the flap wheel on a 4" grinder to remove it, buttoned every thing back up (less than 12hours total) and waited a day to put fluid in it still thinking about those piston discrepancies.

Then went for it, filled it, stuck it in revers and to my surprise it went the direction it was supposed to. I cycled the shifter a few time and filled to level and took if for a drive, pulled out of the drive and when it was supposed to hit second it held for about 1-2 seconds longer, I was ready for the hard shift(remember the .073 hole I guessed on), and it shifted super smooth and crisp. So now I'm thinking what did I do wrong it was so smooth. I ran it all the way up highway speed and every shift was smooth but crisp, I stopped and pinned it to the floor, spun just a little and when it hit second this time at 6 grand it knocked stuff out of my tool box but didn't bark second (I was disappointed). I stopped and did it again, and again and again...LOL the only thing I noticed after all those hard runs was the 1-2 shift is hard but almost feels squishy like when a leaf spring rear axle is twisting the springs. Today I took it out in the rain and did the same run it shifts hard enough to break second and jump side ways... I will take it for a longer drive this weekend up in the hills to see if I burn anything up.

414044-fa708383db893f5793aedac70b5ba61e.jpg


414045-b5918ea94396321266aa56b0827fba22.jpg


414046-c04cd928debd920e098b39238724768f.jpg


414047-0ce9abf7ef433a772c96a0b9cc96041b.jpg
 
Joined
Nov 27, 2015
Messages
160
Location
SE MO
So remember the blower motor fan problem, I now have another problem...….Lets start with the trans cooler install ( see where this is going). I pulled the grill out and thought I'm going to just run the two cooler together why not, only problem is that the factory cooler needs to be moved over to the driver side. no problem I will just drill some hole in the core support and slide them over. ( do you see now?) I got the drill out and started to drill and thought that's a little too close to the condenser....( now you see.),

I stared over to a semi mud flap I use for situations like this when I got over there I got a phone call and forgot all about the mud flap.....I drilled the first hole smooth as butter, but of coarse with the second hole the bit threaded into the aluminum instead of cutting the hole and spishhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a tiny loud hole.....LOL Freon, leak seek, and cuss words spewed from the condenser.

So I thought it was small enough I could just solder/braze it up. That did not work I can only assume because I didn't disconnect the lines and by heating the area it was pressurizing the blowing the solder out. So I bit the bullet and checked rock auto and much to my surprise $50-$75 not to bad....I was thinking $200 like the last radiator I had to replace I mean it still 75 bucks that could have went somewhere else.

The new cooler fits pretty good with space between the condenser and the cooler, I fastened it with zip ties and weather stripping between the cooler and the core support and barely clears the bottom corner of the grill. It fits tight no wiggles but I'm sure I need to keep a check on the zip ties or possibly go with some stainless ties.

DSCF8217.JPG


DSCF8220.JPG


DSCF8231.JPG


DSCF8232.JPG
 

numby

 
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
852
Nice work all the way through! There's a lot of good info here for anyone with a similar vehicle. You certainly seem to have recovered from your illness.
 
Joined
Nov 27, 2015
Messages
160
Location
SE MO
Thanks Numby, yes I have almost fully recovered from the stroke I still stutter and stammer on words but I did that before but not a bad...thanks for the reply I didn't know if there was any body watching the GM threads.. LOL

For a update on the truck after shift kit is I have to watch how hard I'm on the throttle with the tow haul mode on if I give it more than half throttle it will bark the tire in second, the police have gave me the stare down but not pulled me over yet. And yes I do it more than I should but the look on kids in the parking lots when I bark second in a suburban is priceless. Other than that been using it for what I'm building it for ...back woods fishing truck.

DSCF8264.JPG


DSCF8497.JPG
 
Joined
Nov 27, 2015
Messages
160
Location
SE MO
here is one of the first drive with the shift kit installed.....If you have a 4l60e you know how long the 1-2 shift is so this will show the how quick it shifts now.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom