Digital Radio (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Thought here is to start a thread on digital radio, DV, and being inclusive of any system anyone out there is using, Fusion, DSTAR, P25, DMR, APRS, PSK 31, etc. This is not an all inclusive list, so if I left your preferred system out, not on purpose.
I hope this becomes an instructive thread for anyone sharing or wanting to know more about Digital Ham Radio.

I have started with D-Star and will post what I have learned shortly to share that experience.

DStar, started out in Japan, its open source for manufacturers, and I started with it. There are many great instructional ARRL videos on YouTube on how to get started and registered in DStar system with your call sign, so I won't bore you guys with it.
You can use a DStar radio, or other devices for your computer. I got a DV dongle from Gigaparts. It's sold by many other ham suppliers, I don't recommend Gigaparts due to my experience. The DV dongle is easy to use , USB goes into the PC and software downloads, or go to their website and download it. To connect, you first need to register at your local DStar repeater. You will also need a headset with microphone, I got a fairly cheap one from Amazon for $14, a gaming one will work great.

IMG_2647.JPG

The DV dongle will light up green, then blue when connected
IMG_2650.JPG

Double click on the desktop icon to launch the app, and that's it. Enter your callsign and if it is registered and recognized, you can proceed. Select Open to open the computer communications to the dongle port, takes about 2 seconds. Now it's up and you can select Connection and from drop down list pick either the reflector or the repeater you want to use. Reflector 1 is the main one, from all over the world. There are chats all the time, listen first and when appropriate, use your mouse and hold down the green PTT button, and you are on the air.

IMG_2648.JPG

The History tab lets you now who has been on, and you can see your call sign when you PTT into the system
IMG_2653.JPG

There is also an old fashioned DOS style window that opens up next to the App window, most is gobbledygook but not hard to decipher after a bit off testing, tells you a lot of additional information about the session.
IMG_2655.JPG

Thanks for that Izzy and Sue. I have been thinking about this for awhile but lack of time has kept me from exploring it.

I did a test this week, traveling to upstate GA. At hotel, with slow internet, I was able to use my DVDongle and laptop and connect with the Carolinas Friends Network ragchew on Tuesday night, Reflector 54 C. The report was that my signal was very strong and clear. So I looked it up, D-Star requires speed of 4-5 kbs, and dial-up internet is 50 kbs. So even the slowest hotel internet should be capable of TX and RX.

Thanks again, good report.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom