differences between 95 & 96-97 models (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I read somewhere that all LX's imported into Canada (approx 3000 from 96-97) had factory lockers and heated seats. Mine has both.:)

The 95 OBD vs. the OBD2 can dictate how they are treated during emission testing. In AZ, the 96 and 97 LCs and LXs are just plugged into the computer, no codes and you are done.:cool: The 95s get the full inspection.:mad:

Otherwise, they are the same truck.:meh:

When in 95 did Mr. T switch from OBD to OBD-2? I found a replacement engine for my 95 and I need to know if it will work for my 1/95.

I read that they never came from factory with heated seats in Canada.

PS. Tesla is one of my heros

I heard that the CDN LX 450 all had lockers, but not that they all had heated seats. Most likely dealer-installed...

When in 95 did Mr. T switch from OBD to OBD-2? I found a replacement engine for my 95 and I need to know if it will work for my 1/95.

My understanding is that all 95s were OBD2.:meh: However, because OBD2 was not required by law until 96, a 95 may be treated differently in emissions.:bang:

Someone sent me this:
1FZ from 93'-95' model have a D in the VIN in the 4th digit.

I checked with a friend on his 97 and he has a H.

Sound right?

Last edited:
My understanding is that 97's are faster look better longer and the owners are generally better all around people. :flipoff2:

thread approaching chat status in 3....2....

If anyone can...........:hillbilly:

is this information documented anywhere?
Anyone interested in making a chart detailing the differences then we can all duke it out and come up with a consensus? maybe put it in the FAQ?

a

I put a '96 engine in my '95 I just had to change a few emissions things on the intake, and re use my old wiring harness... No biggie...

Things like roof racks, wind deflectors, running boards, and tow hitches are dealer-installed options, they dont come with those from the factory. Not sure about heated seats though. I would think those would have to be factory installed.

94 was the last year the front grill said TOYOTA. 95+ has the symbol.

What I want to know is where they were built in the different years. I have heard that 95 was the last year they were actually manufactured in Japan, and since then they have been built in the US. Does anyone know if this is true?

What I want to know is where they were built in the different years. I have heard that 95 was the last year they were actually manufactured in Japan, and since then they have been built in the US. Does anyone know if this is true?

Not true. AFAIK, every Land Cruiser model is built in one of the Toyota factories in Japan. Easiest way to verify is to look at the first letter of the VIN. A "J" signifies built in Japan ;)

Not true. AFAIK, every Land Cruiser model is built in one of the Toyota factories in Japan. Easiest way to verify is to look at the first letter of the VIN. A "J" signifies built in Japan ;)

This is my understanding as well. And I'm betting that at least some of them were factory roof racks. The ones I have seen I believe have the roof flattened out around the area where the roof rack mounts. My does not have a rack, or the flat areas for the rack. Is this right?

a

My thoughts would be that the racks were port- or dealer-installed options. There are only 2 roof panels listed in the EPC (one with sunroof, one without) and since the rack is not listed in the EPC it is likely not a factory option.

My thoughts would be that the racks were port- or dealer-installed options. There are only 2 roof panels listed in the EPC (one with sunroof, one without) and since the rack is not listed in the EPC it is likely not a factory option.

The racks were port/dealer installed. Officially they were not factory options, adds an MPG or two to the "official" specs and makes the emissions nazi's happy. :rolleyes:

Things like roof racks, wind deflectors, running boards, and tow hitches are dealer-installed options, they dont come with those from the factory. Not sure about heated seats though. I would think those would have to be factory installed.

94 was the last year the front grill said TOYOTA. 95+ has the symbol.

not sure what factory they came from, but the venezuelans got them manufactured until 2007

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom