Did a little work on the tent today (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yotatech.com
Not really the rig, but what resides on the top of it.
On our vacation yesterweek to Mount Rainier National Park I chanted out the stock light bulb in the tents 12v housing for an LED one.
I attempted to power it up by sliding the switch without putting the plastic cover on the light housing, and the switch broke.
Not sure if it was because the cover was not on, or it was just time for it to break.

I had a battery WaganTech Dome Lantern with magnets on the backside that came to the rescue since I could attach it to the tents scissors lift arms.

I got a battery LED light from Autohome that I think is the same one they now use in their tents, but there was really no way to attach it to the fabric on the roof, and I did not want to cut the fabric away.

I had bought an LED RV light housing back in May from Amazon, and I installed it today.
Very bright, much brighter than the stock Autohome, and the battery one I just got.

Also added a little extra cushioning to the 3.5" mattress in the tent by adding a quilted full fitted mattress pad.
The mattress was pretty comfortable by itself, but is even nicer now by stretching out on it today.

I also broke one of the plastic clips that keeps the canvas door rolled up on the trip.
The mosquito netting door uses Velcro strips, a lot better, not sure why they went with the flimsy clips for the main door.
Thought I was going to have to add some Velcro, but after looking at it I just tucked the broken end through the fabric loop that the other clip end goes onto, and it keeps the door up just fine.
I may find a more permanent solution later, maybe I can even find that type of clip some where.
Mike from Autohome US is going to see if he can get some in on the next shipment of tents to the USA from Italy.

Links:

WAGAN 4301 #Camplites Dome Lantern Flashlight LED for Camping, Hiking, Emergencies

Lumitronics Designer LED RV Ceiling Dome Light Replacement 12V Lighting Fixture for RVs, Motorhomes, Campers, 5th Wheels, Trailers

Quilted Fitted Mattress Pad (Full) - Mattress Cover Stretches up to 16 Inches Deep - Mattress Topper by Utopia Bedding

Pics:

1.jpg

The broken clip is on the bottom, and it just sticks through the loop of the material that holds the female portion of the clip

2.jpg

New light, you can see it is much bigger than the light you can see in the first picture with the door clips

3.jpg

Let there be light, LED light

4.jpg

New mattress pad, nice and thick

5.jpg

Freshly washed flannel sheets

6.jpg

Same sheets and heavy weight down comforter I have on my bed in the home, and believe me, sleeping in the tent is very comfortable and warm

7.jpg

Everything in place ready for the top to come down
Also the new tents are now shipping with a ladder bag, I have one on order from Autohome.
This way I will not have to wipe off the ladder with a towel when it is time to pack it into the tent, and it will protect the bedding better.

Geez, how thick is that mattress? I have an Extreme and it has a 2" mattress. I just put a 2" air pad under it
not sure how well the tent will close with the bedding yet.
I also see quilting on the roof, is that original? Mine is a kind of neoprene. Looks pretty comfy in there.
My light doesnt' look like either one of yours, kind of a clear LED with a touch feature for on and off.

Geez, how thick is that mattress? I have an Extreme and it has a 2" mattress. I just put a 2" air pad under it
I also see quilting on the roof, is that original? Mine is a kind of neoprene. Looks pretty comfy in there.
My light doesnt' look like either one of yours, kind of a clear LED with a touch feature for on and off.
The Airlanders mattresses are 3.5" according to the site.
Maggiolina AirLand Plus – Autohome US
That picture of my rig they have on there is back from 2008 when I first got the tent, and it was on the stock FJ rack.

Since mine is from 2008, it might be 3" though.
It just looks very thick with the mattress pad on top since it has not been "broken" in yet.
I thought it was comfortable before, but it is way better now.

That is quilting on the roof.
Yes, I have that touch LED battery operated light too.
How does your light attach?
Mine just arrived this week, and it has two way sticky back circles on it, I did not think it would attach/hold very well to the quilting on the roof, so I decided to hook up the RV light instead.

What year is yours, maybe they changed to the neoprene roof later, and that two way stick for the light would stick to it better.

The new Extremes are also shipping with a 3.5" thick mattress.
Maggiolina Extreme – Autohome US

I think mine is 3" though since it is an older one.
All of the bedding on mine along with the full size pillows, winter weight down comforter, and the new mattress pad, the roof closed just fine today.

I don't know what year mine is. I think the light is glued on. I have a couple of pressure points
on hips and shoulders so its harder for me to sleep on hard ground. I never realized everyone puts the
ladder inside, I can't reach in to do that. so I have it cross ways just behind the fridge in front of wheels.
How long is yours inside? Mine is only 72" so it makes finding aftermarket pads difficult.
Exped just came out with a 25"x72" mega mat. I'm on the fence about getting it, and deflating it every morning.
That way if I double up, I can get another one and they can fit side by side. But that is $400+ so it's a bit
much.

Specs say mine is 72" on the outside.
They used to have inside dimms, but I am not seeing them on the USA or the Italian site.

I stand on my rock slider once the tent is cranked up, and I can them grab the ladder by the side, and then twist it to pull it out the rolled up doors.

Sounds like our mattresses are the same size.
I use a twin down comforter, and it has some overhang on each side.
For the sheets and the mattress pad I just got, I use "full" size which is one size down from a queen.
They fit perfect.

I use to use sleeping bags in my two tent trailers, and having real sheets and a comforter in the roof top tent is like cheating, it is super comfortable and warm if you need it to be.

There is a guy who is a member here who owns a company that makes custom roof top tent mattresses, you might want to get a hold of him.
He has some posts from a year or more back in this section is you are looking for a more comfortable one.
He can make them custom size.

I had a not all that firm 2 inch foam pad for three years and struggled to get the cover on my RTT. It wasnt too great when new either but the foam plus pillows were hard to compress and keep there while forcing the zipper all the way around.

I just got an air mattress , 9 inches thick and now closing up the tent is a breeze. With the pillows too. Much better and so very comfy. When I first (half ) wake up it takes a lot longer to realize that Im not in bed at home.LOL But I think thats about the nicest thing you could say about aother bed.

I just bit the bullet and got Exped Megamat 10 for mine. FYI, next year they will release a 50"x72" for
smaller requirements. I'll be able to release air for closing and then just pump it up at night, so
no more fitment issues. BTW, I had no idea people stored the ladder inside, but I can't reach it to
get it out my 60 so it travels inside.

You had mentioned about the ladder before.
My cover sack for my ladder came earlier in the week from Autohome for my ladder, so now I will not have to spend a lot of time wiping the dirt off of it.

Do you have rock sliderz?
I stand on mine, and I can just reach in to grab the ladder and pull it out.
I am only around 5'8", so the sliderz really help there.
In fact I stand on them when pushing the fabric back in when putting the lid down.

No sliders. I have to lean back on the open truck door to tuck material in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom