destins 1964 fj40 FST restore thread (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can always move to lets say Santa Barbara.:grinpimp:

:D

took the cruiser with the family out to the barlow trail on the east side of mt hood for a drive :)

5904811105_dbdd126468_b.jpg

5904810579_7d28bcff6a_b.jpg

5904810305_6526c7af19_b.jpg

5905371168_7eb523bd8b_b.jpg

5904813827_dc0861ebd1_b.jpg

5905372704_4b0f3647cc_b.jpg

5905376208_e9d92c637f_b.jpg

5905372538_1e9bfacb9a_b.jpg

the wifey was driving quite a bit, at the end of the day she was driving great on the trail :)

5905375964_3ae14cbce4_b.jpg

some vids :)

Last edited:
thansk bro :)

I put some extra dog pads in the back of the truck to make his ride super cushy :)

He seemed to dig it :D

The wifely likes to put sunglasses on him lol, she is nutty :D

....missed your doggie so much on your last trips :D
Tell him he`s looking pretty cool with the sunglasses ;)
Nice area around the Mt. Hood !
Cheers
Peter

It's time to find a LV or a 55. Anyone else wants to go along and your SOL. You pup fills the whole area behind the front seats. I'm sure he would enjoy having his own window to stick his head out of.:idea:

I sure miss all the green trails area the pacific northwest. Our summer rains started so hopefully it will green up a bid and help finish putting out these wild fires have had this summer.:frown:

It's time to find a LV or a 55. Anyone else wants to go along and your SOL. You pup fills the whole area behind the front seats. I'm sure he would enjoy having his own window to stick his head out of.:idea:

I sure miss all the green trails area the pacific northwest. Our summer rains started so hopefully it will green up a bid and help finish putting out these wild fires have had this summer.:frown:

hehe no more room for new vehicles for now lol :)

the 55 are pretty dope though :)

Yeha i heard you guys were getting temp around 118ish? that seems crazy hot!!!!

Hopefully i get out in the cruiser more this weekend :)
The wife is turning into a good driver on the trail too, we woudl go up or down sections then I let her run it on her own, mild stuff but she is learning and doing an awesome job :)

hehe no more room for new vehicles for now lol :)

the 55 are pretty dope though :)

Yeha i heard you guys were getting temp around 118ish? that seems crazy hot!!!!

Hopefully i get out in the cruiser more this weekend :)
The wife is turning into a good driver on the trail too, we woudl go up or down sections then I let her run it on her own, mild stuff but she is learning and doing an awesome job :)

Looks like you've got to start on building one for her, might want to give her a trail (less nice)rig to get the experiance, nice for you to for experimenting, and fix it up later.

Looks like you've got to start on building one for her, might want to give her a trail (less nice)rig to get the experiance, nice for you to for experimenting, and fix it up later.

hehe yeah, i was trying to talk her into letting me build up a early swb 45, but she likes to drive newer cars :)

She did a great job on the barlow trail, it is pretty tame though, you could prolly do it with a 2wd small pickup, pretty mellow :)

i would be into getting another 40 as a beater wheeling truck though, to take on crazier stuff, pretty amazing what you can climb up in 4 wheel low :D

Destin , don`t forget the October 7th, 8th , and 9th 2011
http://www.ocbfestival.com/
it`s the date of the anual Oregon Covered Bridge Festival.
Want see your 40 parked near by such a covered bridge ;)
"..... At one time there were over 600 of these beautiful bridges. Now Oregon has only 51 left. Many people enjoy them for their beauty, the history, because they are romantic and nostalgic."
6a00d8341cf77353ef0120a7f7c378970b-pi

Cheers
Peter

Last edited:
Cool, you live in a great-looking part of the world! The cruiser looks right at home in some of those photos...:)

i thought i would link to my post here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/499160-fuel-smell-cab-1964-fj40.html

found some amber fuel rated hose line take a peep

///////

ok fellas found some gasoline rated amber lines :D

Down side is that they are slightly small in thickness that the OEM ones so the press on retaining nut is too loose to work effectively. I can either use another kidna hose clamp, or search some dirt bike or tractor stores for some thicker amber lines.

thse amber lines are availbale at this place by the foot for anyone interested:

Oil Filter Service Co Inc | Portland, OR 97214 | DexKnows.com™

I likely search around a bit more and see if i can find a larger size thickness hose so i can reuse the pressure retainer.

5931533818_4ab811d0c8_b.jpg

5930952679_bbb98c39e0_b.jpg

Very early pristine FJ spotted in West LA

Hey Destin,

You didn't move to West Los Angeles by any chance?

I was just driving down to PCH on West Channel Road in Santa Monica this afternoon to dive for lobsters and saw an absolutely cherry early FJ that looked EXACTLY like yours (accurate restoration, bright red, olive drab top and doors). Unfortunately, I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't stop and inspect it more closely.

If not, anyone know whose this is? She's a beaut!

hey man!!!

Nope, that was not me, we decided to stay in portland oregon :)

I would love to see photos of the rig or learn more about it however if anyone has any info :)

Hey Destin,

You didn't move to West Los Angeles by any chance?

I was just driving down to PCH on West Channel Road in Santa Monica this afternoon to dive for lobsters and saw an absolutely cherry early FJ that looked EXACTLY like yours (accurate restoration, bright red, olive drab top and doors). Unfortunately, I was kind of in a hurry so I didn't stop and inspect it more closely.

If not, anyone know whose this is? She's a beaut!

Hey D,
I have been thinking about what to do "winch" wise and wanted to know if you rebuilt yours yet or not? Would like an old school option for mine and curious how your rebuild went.

Got my bib mounted today and finishing up some wiring. Was digging through your thread, (which is to me an encyclopedia of what TO do) to figure out if my bumperettes were mounted right (which they aren't apparently, bendy section towards center).

Cant wait to hit the road myself, thanks again for the inspiration. I will post up a pic when I get home.

Chris

hey man

have not had a chance to rebuild the winch yet, just wrapped a project and I am taking the next 2 months off so i might do that :)

Been trying to just hit the gym, wheel and hike lately before the weather gets snowy in the passes :)

Your rig looks AWESOME man.

Let me know when ya snap some photos of it in the wild, and let me know what you think of those yoko tires, I might get a set for the winter, as these bias ply tires are not so awesome in the snow and ice lol !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom