DESPERATE for wiring help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After watching countless YouTube videos and reading through dozens and dozens of threads, I cannot for the life of me figure out which wire to tap into for my locker switches.

I used a "Add a Circuit" for the ignition wire that goes to the switch, but I don't know how to tap into the dash lights :bang::bang::bang:

What I've read so far is "use the cigarette lighter wires to tap in" but there are two wires there. Which one do I tap into?!?!

If you want power from the cigarette lighter, I would recommend using a multi meter to determine which is ground and which is 12VDC (power). that's the best way to know what you are getting.

Hope this helps.
Flagstaff

If you want power from the cigarette lighter, I would recommend using a multi meter to determine which is ground and which is 12VDC (power). that's the best way to know what you are getting.

Hope this helps.
Flagstaff

@flagstaff I would connect the dash light wire from my switch to the negative terminal right of the cigarette lighter right? What am I looking for with my MM? Ground will show nothing and I'll see 12'ish volts right?

for your MM, connect the black lead up to one wire, the red up to the other. If you get +12V then the wire connected to the red lead is power and the wire connected to the black is ground.

If you get -12V then the wire connected to the red lead is ground and the wire connected to the black is power.

If you prefer, connect the black lead to a known ground (any metal on the frame or body) and connect the red up to a one of the two wires from the cigarette lighter. If it shows +12v then that's the power wire to the lighter. if is shows 0V, check the other wire for +12V. One should be +12V (unless it turns off when the key is off; then turn the key on and try again.) Also make sure your MM is set to read DC voltage.

Typically the center of the socket is the positive side, the metal shroud/cylinder is the ground.

When you plug in power adapters the fused side being the positive in the tip is how I found about it years before I got my first MM.

I'd confirm first with a MM.

Thanks guys, makes perfect sense.

The problem is I don't know whether to use the positive or negative at the cigarette lighter outlet for the wire labeled "to dash lights" on my switches.

IMG_1211.JPG

image.jpg
image.jpg
This wiring diagram shows wiring for 3 switches (front locker, rear locker, and compressor).

So what I'm trying to figure out is where that "Blue/White To Dash Lights" is supposed to go on the cigarette lighter circuit. Does it connect to the positive wire or nagative?

On the 2000 EWD, it looks like:

The cigarette lighter circuit:
Positive = Grey
Ground = White-Black​

The illumination circuit for the cigarette lighter:
Positive = Green
Ground = White-Green​

I suspect that they want you to connect your "Blue/White" to the factory "Green" to illuminate the switch(es) when the lights are on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom