Desert Station to Schurz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Sorry no pictures, we were traveling fast today.
I did want to recomend this as a very mild day trip for anyone who is interested.

Originaly we were just making a quick trip to Mound House to check out a tent trailer (sold before we got there:mad: ). Then we decided to carry on to Dayton, pick up some cold cuts and head out to Lahoten. Spur of the moment we took Ft Churchill Road. By the time we got to Alt 95 we decided to head south and pick up the dirt road that goes around the south side of Lahoten. The turn is just after you pass Weeks and cross the Carson River. There were lots of people near the campgrounds and what not so we started toward Hooten Wells, following the main road. By the time we made Hooten Wells, a cattle pen and some tanks on the right hand side of the road, we figured WTF? may as well check out our geocache at Desert Station. At Desert Station you can still see remains of the Pony Express station, including the "strong room" and rock walled horse pens. The location is marked by one very sad looking dead tree. The well is still used by local ranchers. We skirted left around the current corals and hit the pole line road south until it crossed a major road. Follow this road until you get to a typical Nevada barb wire and stick gate. Today we took the right fork after the gate, IIRC last time we went left. Either way you eventually get to a smal line shack and stock pen. Keep right after you leave the line shack and eventually you pass the Top Gun Race Track and come to HWY95. We took a right and headed to Schurz then home. You could also take a left and head towards Fallon.

Both Weeks and Desert Station were originaly Pony express stations before the route was moved north to follow the current I-80 corridor. The area where the road crosses HWY95 is near the location of another PE station, who's name escapes me at the moment.

The road is mostly good with a few soft sandy spots, maintain speed and it they are no problem. I cruised at 45 to 50 MPH over most of the route in the 100. During wet years this route can become impassable, I have been denied when driving the GMC more than once.

Sounds like a nice little trip. Will have to mark that one down.

Jack

I have scouted/wheel'd a little farther South...East of Walker Lake in the Gillis Range. And I have been wanting to take the Bodie road either from 95 West or 395 East...would make a nice weekend jaunt.

I have scouted/wheel'd a little farther South...East of Walker Lake in the Gillis Range. And I have been wanting to take the Bodie road either from 95 West or 395 East...would make a nice weekend jaunt.

Darcie and I have taken the road from Bodie over the hill to Auroura and then to Hawthorne over Lucky Boy Pass. I would do it again in a heart beat. Some really nice stuff to see out that way.

Jack

Next time I'd like to go over the pine nuts via Sunrise Pass, north/east through Churchill Canyon to the railroad tracks follow them north to Alt 95, pick up the road we took back to 95.

Next time I'd like to go over the pine nuts via Sunrise Pass, north/east through Churchill Canyon to the railroad tracks follow them north to Alt 95, pick up the road we took back to 95.

Just let us know, what day you want to give it a go, sounds like fun.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom