departure angle 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
I usually post on the 70's forum but I thought I might good input here.
I am not a hard core rock crawler dude but I do have a habit of getting into bad spots so I want to do what I can to have my BJ74 be capable.
It has the factory pto winch that I am going to keep. I will eventually do something about the "front porch" bumper.

I want to get some camping and tool storage boxes mounted on the left side of the rear bumper on a swing arm that I have not put on yet.
Is there an advantage to getting those boxes up higher than the bottom spare tire? Seems like could favor that left side if I had to.
I feel like the goofy front bumper is the limiting factor anyway.
Am I right?
pics
1588079177378.png

1588079192565.png

1588079216539.png

Your front porch will definitely be your limiting factor. That being said I wheel my 80 on some pretty challenging trails and have walked right up obstacles that other 80s had to winch because they had their Spare tire and storage box hanging up (I keep mine inside) so yes keeping your storage up high well help.
I would take a straight long piece of 1x lumber stuff it up to the rear of the rear tire, then pull it up to bottom of your bumper. Keep your storage boxes above that line so if you clear your bumper you will clear you boxes

Good idea!
In my photo below, do you mean from the red arrow or the green arrow? Red I think.
1588427715649.png

I had some pipes laying around.
Placing one at the green arrow position, the other pipe contacts the spare before it hits the bumper.
I plan to switch to slightly thinner tires so maybe that will take care of it on that side.
Since I had that swing-out powdr coated, I'd rather not cut, raise and weld the tire mount.
One the other hand, I don't want the spare tire getting hung up and jammed into the rear of my soft top.
Maybe I'll make a spacer that can be put in place to raise the spare when required.

I'll do better with the boxes.
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom