Death wobble may be the death of me.. suggestions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Aug 31, 2015
Threads
11
Messages
103
Location
Memphis, TN
So my death wobble is driving me nuts. I've used the search function - I've read many threads. I've tried many things. Here's the deal:

1996 LX450 - ran on the highway perfectly fine pre-lift and pre "new tires." The truck had cheapo worn out 285s on it when purchased, but it was a joy on the highway.

Enter the upgrades. I installed OME 4" comp coils, OME shocks, Man-a-fre caster correction - the whole nine yards. With that, I installed Method NV 17x8.5 wheels, and BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 35x12.5R17s. These were mounted and balanced at my local 4 Wheel Parts with stick on-weights on the inside of the rim.

Instantly after the lift and new tires, I began to experience an intense wobble around 70 mph. The wobble is not very noticeable at slower speeds, but at 68+ it is borderline unbearable.

So I get on 'mud and begin to search for solutions. It seems that the consensus of a wobble after a lift over 2" is the need for a double-cardan front DC. Instantly, I order a new custom shaft from Tatton. I installed the new shaft and sadly experienced no change - still terrible shaking/wobbling at around 70 mph.

Next up was a rebalance of the tires. This time I took them to a different shop and had them "road force" balanced. The shop claimed that 4-wheel parts did not do a good job with them.. well don't they all say that. I was very excited to get it out on the road but, yet again - no change in the wobble.

At this point, after reading more threads, I decided to take a look at the bearings. I checked the front wheels and noticed a fair amount of play in the bearings. Believe it or not, I got super excited when I noticed the play! I figured that had to be the source of the death wobble.

So three days, a few cuts and bruises, and lots of grease stains later, I completed the full rebuild of the front knuckles with new everything, including new Koyo bearings and races all around. The wheels were super solid - no play at all now. The result?

You guessed it - no change at all. Wobble is still as bad as ever.

Frustrated, I turned to the rear driveshaft next. It did not seem to have much play, but at this point I would try anything. I took the rear shaft up to my local driveline shop and had them install new u-joints and re-balance the shaft. Of course, no improvement to the wobble.

My last ditch effort was to switch the tires over to balancing beads instead of lead weights. So a couple hours later I had 8 oz of dyna-beads in each tire. And still - no change. The death wobble still as bad as ever.

So as you can see - I am quite exhausted with the issue. I am beginning to feel quite out of options. For reference the wheels, tires, and lift have about 1000 miles on them now. I have been planning a big trip out to the midwest in a week and am starting to panic. I have to take advil before driving the truck across town, it just wouldn't be humane to go cross-country. I know that a rough ride is characteristic of mud tires, I've owned enough to know. But as I've stated this death wobble is just about unbearable.

Thanks for reading my long post, and of course, any suggestions at all are welcome.
 
Have you checked the panhard rod bolts and bushings?
 
Have you checked the panhard rod bolts and bushings?

Bushings and bolts check out.. but my goodness..... the adjustment lock nut has backed itself off.. Could this be the cause? And will I need a new alignment?

IMG_3403.webp
 
Did you replace any of the steering links or TRE'S? Did you replace the steering stabilizer? Have you checked your steering shaft to the power steering box?
 
That looks like the problem
 
Did you replace any of the steering links or TRE'S? Did you replace the steering stabilizer? Have you checked your steering shaft to the power steering box?

Yes, its has Slee drag link and tie rod. All new OEM TREs, OME steering stabilizer. Going to double check the power steering shaft now.
 
That looks like the problem

If the lock nut backed itself off, should simply re-tightening solve the issue, or is there anything else I should do?
 
I have the same OME adjustable panhard and have had the nut loosen up also. I didn't notice any wobble when it was loose
 
There's not enough mud under it. The lack of crud inhibits the wobble dampner.



If you haven't already, get someone behind the steering wheel and get under it and have them move the wheels back and forth to see if you see any undue movement. You could have a pushing somewhere that's toast. I had shake that turned out to be a rear drag link bolt that was worn. Replaced it and it removed some shimmy. It seems like anything in the driveline can result in steering shimmy, so you have to evaluate EVERYTHING, replaced or not to get to the solution. Heck I've had shimmy that turned out to go away after replacing brake pads.
 
There's no way that lock nut loosening is the problem. Just tighten the nut. Really that nut is only needed to keep the ends from rotating during install. As long as the both ends are still connected, and you haven't rotated the truck on the axle there's no problem. It's common practice to use a lock nut in that situation, but not always necessary.
 
Also shake the truck side to side. A lot of folks over look that. Grab the tow hooks and shift it left and right.
 
Suggestion, start back at step one and try to eliminate each possible cause one at a time...

I know in theory you have already done this.... But start again. I'd start with the front driveshaft, while I know it's new... Pull it, lock the CDL and take it for a spin...

If that's not the cause, reinstall, drop the rear shaft and repeat.

Still not the cause?

See if you can borrow a set of rollers or put your stock wheels back on.... Drive.

While your doing the wheel swap double check those wheel bearings toque...

Only so many things in the equation that can cause a shake.

-A
 
Let's get some terms straight.

Death wobble is the steering wheel slamming back and forth, trying rip itself out of your hand. Almost always happens between 35-45mph.

Shaking/vibrations are the tub of the truck cavitating.
 
How old are the tie rod ends? This is my first thought whenever someone asks me about a front end shake.
 
Suggestion, start back at step one and try to eliminate each possible cause one at a time...
-A

This may just have to be the next step. Not a bad suggestion at all. I need to source a set of loaner rollers.. anyone in the Memphis area got some stock wheels laying around?

Let's get some terms straight.

Death wobble is the steering wheel slamming back and forth, trying rip itself out of your hand. Almost always happens between 35-45mph.

Shaking/vibrations are the tub of the truck cavitating.

Apologies about term usage, and thank you for the disambiguation. Seem like I just suffer from shaking/vibrations. Wish there was a more defined term for the madness!

How old are the tie rod ends? This is my first thought whenever someone asks me about a front end shake.

Tie rod ends are all new less than 1000 miles.
 
Is the steering wheel shaking or are you just feeling a vibration while driving?
 
Sounds like you don't have death wobble, but more of a vibe/shake at higher speeds. The fact you've done the knuckle rebuild, TRE's, caster correction, DC front shaft, etc, makes me think it might be something more simple(maybe) ... someone else said it, but you might want to find a buddy with a Toyota and swap wheels&tires for a test and see if it's still there.

Lastly, are it is fairly common for a vibe/hum from the rear drive shaft as well .. U-joints will go bad. You can try greasing the crap out of the rearmost u-joint and see if that makes any difference.
 
Apologies about term usage, and thank you for the disambiguation. Seem like I just suffer from shaking/vibrations. Wish there was a more defined term for the madness!

My guess is you could slide under the truck and start checking torques on stuff. With suspension bolts you always tighten the wide with the washer, so go around checking torque on links and anything that's been undone.

Also try what AMMO said, pull driveshafts and check, try different tires, but the torque wrench seems like it would be less work first.
 
We had a similar wobble on our Mitsubishi Montero Sport. The tires would balance but were out of round. The wobble would start at 35mph and gradually increase up to 70mph. The "wobble" was felt in the ride but most noticeably the steering wheel would shake violently. At low speeds it felt like a massage but at higher speeds it was hold on for your life. We bought new tires and ride was smooth as silk.

Look for a set of wheels and tires that you can just toss on there to test before you go digging or replacing anything else.
 
We had a similar wobble on our Mitsubishi Montero Sport. The tires would balance but were out of round. The wobble would start at 35mph and gradually increase up to 70mph. The "wobble" was felt in the ride but most noticeably the steering wheel would shake violently. At low speeds it felt like a massage but at higher speeds it was hold on for your life. We bought new tires and ride was smooth as silk.

Look for a set of wheels and tires that you can just toss on there to test before you go digging or replacing anything else.

Are you suggesting that an over-sized BFG could be out of round? Say it ain't so!
 
Back
Top Bottom