Death Valley Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I'm looking to enter Death Valley from the north (yes, I know most people go in via Panamint). Does anyone have an experience with Death Valley Road/Loretta Mine Road from near Zurich or Eureka Valley Road that leaves 168 near Oasis? We're hoping to camp at Mesquite Springs after seeing the Crater.

I always go in via eureka dunes... but never made it to mesquite springs... almost always camp the hot springs in saline valley... and end up at the crater via lippincott rd....
@2mountainfish lives out that way and might shed some light..
:beer::beer:

Since I have to 12 year old boys, I thought I'd avoid the hot springs. I assumed there'd be naked people of all kinds there and felt it best to avoid it. Is there a time of day when kids can go? Morning?

How is Eureka Dune Road from Oasis? Is it paved?

Haven't come in that way. As far as the springs, the last time we were there it was pretty tame as far as naked people, but you never know. I simply don't get why people need to be naked.

The boys would love a hot springs.

I been there with my now 5 y/o...... but i hear yah... teen years are totally different... i go by gut feeling.. most of the time it's all good with hardly any folks around... except for last time.... we camped out for one night, but no HS.... too many peeps
Two pools at the upper springs...too
Road to eureka springs is where i lower the tire pressure.. not paved.. at least not from the turnoff... never taken that road to oasis.. so i wouldn't know...

A couple of things. The amoeba that kills you in a couple of days is present in Death Valley. Don’t put your head underwater or get water up your nose. Take a bunch of water. When I was driving Death Valley often I usually carried around 30 gal of water. If you leave your vehicle have some kind of shade and water with you . A number of years ago an experienced ranger collapsed walking from his vehicle to a fire tower. Naked people is low on my list of priorities when it comes to Death Valley. If you see cabin, they have often been occupied illegally by squatters so approach carefully. Basically, just be careful out there.

It’s barely going to be in the 70’s. I think we’ll be okay.

I believe this guy was just in the area you're asking about.

One year we were in Furnace creek on the first of April. Temperature was 101F. On the other hand we also stayed in the engineers cabin at the top of growlers wash in a light snow. Some of the members of the Manson cult were caught because a dry lake became impassible after a heavy rain. Just be aware that weather in Death Valley can be extreme, hence the name.

Well, it looks like the weather is going to s*** next week. This storm that's hitting the west coast this weekend is getting bigger and bigger and lasting longer and longer. Weather Underground is calling for rain and snow all week. Accuweather and Weather.com are not saying the same thing yet, but probably will later today. Camping with 12 year olds in the rain is not fun so barring some divine intervention on the weather, we are going to scrub the trip.

Well, it looks like the weather is going to s*** next week. This storm that's hitting the west coast this weekend is getting bigger and bigger and lasting longer and longer. Weather Underground is calling for rain and snow all week. Accuweather and Weather.com are not saying the same thing yet, but probably will later today. Camping with 12 year olds in the rain is not fun so barring some divine intervention on the weather, we are going to scrub the trip.
That just means I'll have to pack my snowboard!

:lol:

Mesquite Springs is a nice campground. Check to see if it is open. They have a real bathroom with a flush toilet DV is in the rain shadow of teh Sierra...I would still plan on going and making a game time decision.

I was out in the desert last weekend and the predictions were a lot of rain. Not a drop fell.

I have had the luck to be out there where there is been 2' of snow on the passes.. but zero precipitation at the bottom of DV...
weather extremes are the normal out that way(freezing, sizzling hot, or crazy windy)....
just gotta be ready and willing (or not) for it..........
It is all about your own comfort level and knowing when to pull the plug....

There are no game time decisions with two 12 year olds in the car - not after a 10 hour drive.

Sign.jpg

Of course, there's no way to enforce that. But they have closed all the "official" campgrounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom