Dashboard question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BeagleBJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm a rookie here and just bought my first Land Cruiser, a 1978 BJ40-LV-KC. I'm learning as I go. Below is photo of the dash. The switch labelled "A" with a choke knob is a 3 position for the wipers; "C" is the lighter; "D" with a lights knob is the choke. The real switch for the lights is to the left of the steering column. My question is: What is the switch with the small knob labelled "B" in the photo for? It is a 2 position (on/off) push/pull but is not connected to anything. Thanks for your help.

Dash Switches lettered.jpg

That small switch in my 1970 is for the courtesy/ dome light. I can’t give you a 100% that this is what it’s for on your Cruiser…

That small switch in my 1970 is for the courtesy/ dome light. I can’t give you a 100% that this is what it’s for on your Cruiser…
It's not connected to anything now but I'll see if there are some loose wires that might run to the dome light. Thank you!

Wow, that looks quite a bit different than my BJ40 dash. I'm guessing POs did some "rearranging". Thank you.

Yeah, that's a diagram for an FJ40. I would have thought a BJ40 to have basically the same layout, but maybe they're different. Certainly yours wouldn't have a choke and might have a switch/indicator for glow-plugs, but it seems like the rest would be common.

Here's a photo of the dash from 1980 BJ40 that sold on Ebay. It's somewhat similar to yours.

Post your question in the diesel section. Those folks can probably answer your question.

1624068678791.png

Last edited:

Yeah, that's a diagram for an FJ40. I would have thought a BJ40 to have basically the same layout, but maybe they're different. Certainly yours wouldn't have a choke and might have a switch/indicator for glow-plugs, but it seems like the rest would be common.
You're right, of course, a diesel would not have a choke. Clearly, I wasn't thinking. I'm now guessing the "D switch" is the injection timing advance lever for cold starts. Thanks spotcruiser!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom