Damn they ripped the recovery point out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geckoadventure.net
So RED was returned to me from the 2013 in a sorry state.

Alternator replaced as filled with MUDDY water, would not turn off unless in reverse was replaced a few weeks ago with a brand new toyota one to fix the issue.

Ripped out recovery point in chassis

Wipers broken

and a whole list of other issues.

Today it was time to repair the chassis as I have realised I cannot WINCH until its repaired else I might bend the complete chassis.

So I took it out the to the rawang hospital and stripped the bullbar off to save time on the repair and they are also installed a rollcage for the rear passengers and the rear cargo area and harness seat belt connect points.

This is the right side with the recovery point still there.

The missing recovery point pulled out when they dropped it in a deeply flooded ditch and then busted my god winch getting out and then a COMP truck pulled them outbut not before it pulled the recovery point out - sigh gRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

The stripped off bullbar ready for the repair

Once repaired I can install the new 230feet of 11mm wire I will collect next week.

New recovery points designed and will be fitted also.

.......and to think I drove mine to work several times last week which resulted in no damage. :D

My total last week was one LARGE orange cone dragged through the toll gates and got rid of by driving over the kerb and back onto the road in the pursuit of a MERC which cut me off at the toll gate LOL and 3 tall skinny orange highway markers which all got in my way this morning.

Those "recovery points" are not really any good. They were factory tie down points for shipping. I wouldn't use one to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
IMHO would remove the other one and incorporate something into your winch mount / front bar.

I'm surprised to see the factory tie-down point torn out of the chassis. On my old BJ70, the points had been 'pulled flat', that is, the force of pulling on them had caused the loops to pull forwards and flatter. Whilst on my brother's BJ74 on one tie-down point one of the bolts into the chassis had snaped, while on the other tie-down they'd snapped the weld on where the hoop on the tie-down point is bolted to the base plate. Fortunately it looks like the most extreme thing that the POs of my BJ74 ever did was drive down a boat ramp.

Those "recovery points" are not really any good. They were factory tie down points for shipping. I wouldn't use one to pull the skin off a rice pudding.
IMHO would remove the other one and incorporate something into your winch mount / front bar.

Well its lasted 10 years.

And I had been looking for alternatives as the bumper ones are useless and all bent up already. YEs and why they did not use the bumper recovery point I will never know.

Yes we are incorpating into the bumper however it's THIN material i am trying to find some lift hitches we can put in I can only find the in the USA too late to get them shipped here. Lets see what Pete the welder/fabricator comes up with.

For those who think RFC was DRY this is a small sample and yes the
roads were equally bad.

This is the story of one of our forum guys KGB and his ZOOK supported by the other Volvo from our forum Princess Annuar.

Part 2

Part 3 the water driving

The ZOOK finished 4th overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom