Cyber build 101 : 80 with 6-8" lift running 38's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

concretejungle said:
Christo, don't you think this is another example of when portal's become a valid option? In theory, using the portal axles would allow you to keep the suspension rather mild and yet run really large tires. Still may need to trim a little, but you shouldn't need 6-8 inch springs to fit 38s.

Portals would solve a lot of clearance issues, however it it is not cheap. Drexx's truck has hummer portal ends with Ford 9" center sections. Really nice axles, but I spoke to the suppliers and they were not confident that it would hold up to 40/44" tires. Drexx is running 37" tires since that is the max for the Rain Forrest Challenge (which is what I believe he originally wanted the truck for)

Ken can chime in, but I am pretty sure that was a pretty hefty shop bill to make those fit. Other options are Unimog hybrids, again probably close to $10k in axles alone. Not fitted.

I would say that Drexx's setup is probably pretty good for a mild wheeler/daily driver. However in the big rocks, you need big tires on a 80.

Sometimes 40" tires are just to small :grinpimp:

DSC00908.jpg

sleeoffroad said:
Come to Cruise Moab next year. You don't even have to wheel your truck hard there, but there will be some hardcore 80's. Look, listen and learn. Again for off-road, you want low, big tires and stable.

Best available research right there.....CM garners a good 80 crowd, and you'll see all ranges....and talk face to face with owners as well as see the rigs in action.

I kept my 40 "stockish" for about 8 years before doing anything....the 80 will only get "normal" adds for the first 4-5 years until I've got my ideas together on where it should go...

clarkrw3, I will be in Moab next year, so I will see you there.
Cheers,
Sean

This has brought me to the conclusion that "doin' it right" is different to a lot of people. My half-arsed stuff works well enough for me most of the time and has never broke because it was built the way I did it. I don't do show quality, but, I make what I have work.

If you've got a goal to get it working it's doable. It doesn't have to look factory to me. It can look like I made it and if it works then cool.

But that's just me.

So therefore what right?
I think what I'm sayin' is that if there's a little rub here or there and if your budget didn't fit everything in then start with the big stuff and make the little stuff work as you go. Budgets are a lot easier to work with over a long period of time while you're gettin' to know yer rig.

B

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom