CV driveshafts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2007 LX 470 CV driveshafts leaked. My buddy recommends a pair from Napa for $160. After he installed, I have to bring my car to sear auto center to have it aligned since the steering crooked to the left. After alignment, i notice my car pulls to the left on the highway if I let go of the steering. I go back to sears auto since their alignment has 6 months warranty. They tried to fix, now I notice my car pulls to the right if I let go of the steering.
I am not sure if it's worth keeping going back to sears.
Wonder if it's the cheap CV driveshafts from Napa that causing this issue.
IF it is, I guess I have to buy a pair of these:

43430-60040 - Lexus Parts Now

If you search here you'll find that the NAPA CVs won't last long and a few have experienced vibration issues with them. I'd make sure your buddy put the front end back together correctly, just a straight CV swap shouldn't mess with the steering.

As mentioned, the quality of the axles shouldn't affect the alignment at all. In order to replace the CV axles, you have to remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle. Depending on how this is done, it can greatly affect the alignment.

You might want to try a different shop than Sears. A warranty doesn't help if you have to keep going back.

I am not sure what's going on. Now that the steering wheel is aligned, but the car pulls right when i let go of the steer wheel. DO you guys think it's because of the Napa CV Joint? I mean I am willing to spend on OEM toyota CV hearing this.

Don't think the CV is likely to cause the steering problem, that probably happened when the CV was installed. Have someone more familiar with the LC have a look perhaps? The Sears tech could be great but they could also be missing something from the install process that's not correct.

That said, as Trunk points out you may want real Toyota CV axles in there. If you're going to be using it heavily loaded or off-road you're definitely going to want the real ones. If you end up having to take it apart anyway because of the steering issue you may as well put the good stuff in.

Do you have the originals that you removed due to leaks? They can be re-greased and re-booted with a kit from Toyota for ~$40/ side and you'll be better off than you are with the Napas.

You have VGRS which requires a simple procedure [search keywords VGRS and alignment] to re center the steering wheel if that was the original issue (steering crooked to the left?). The cheap CV install is likely coincidental. If Sears is adjusting TREs to recenter your steering wheel then there's your problem.

Sounds like bad caster from the alignment. It might be following the crown of the road. If you drive down the wrong side of a street with some crown to it, does it pull to the left?

thank you. i will make an appointment with sears again. i will ask them regarding VGRS.
I am too tired to keep on going there. I waited like 4 hours each visit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom