1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom exhaust system

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Bigbrightspark, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Bigbrightspark

Bigbrightspark

I have a fj40 with a 307 chevy in it. it has a 2.5" exhaust on it at the moment and i was wondering would i be able to make side pipes for it like the cobra's. i have 2 main questions 1st do i need to have a certain amount of back pressure on the engine and 2nd can i put a muffler like 1 meter away from the engine without it burning out.
    thanks

2. Mark W

Mark W

No.

Yes.

Don't put sidepipes on a '40.

Mark...

3. theBk

theBk

another thing to consider (at least in CT) is that aftermarket sidepipes are illegal. its a problem if you have to inspect or register your truck

4. LakeNorman_FJ40

LakeNorman_FJ40

Media:
    Albums:
    You don't want the side pipes. Trust me, I have a Cobra replica. In between the ear-splitting noise and the extra-caution required to prevent leg burns, it just isn't worth it...

5. Wildman

Wildman

Dont do it... I have been on the trail with a 40 with side pipes... he didnt make any friends that day.

6. Lt1cruiser

Lt1cruiser

Wow you guys really hate side pies huh? I have my exhaust out the sides underneath the sides and it doesn't bother me at all. They are tucked in so that their is no burning of the legs and the floor doesn't get and I am running a chevy 350. Of coarse I have mufflers on so that they are not loud but I love the sound of it and where it is I have absolutely no problems with it but hey those are my $.02