Cummins 2.8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the newish Cummins 2.8 has been out a while- has anyone been following/tracking issues across other forums or how these swaps have been holding up/ common problems / cummins ecu updates/or things that have found now that theyve been running a while?

I know early on the plastic oil pans didnt make alot of sense for offroad applications/ and im sure the aftermarket would offer something to easily remedy....but womdering if anyone has followed these???

They didn't do well in the Foton utes. Like 100,000km two replacement engines kind of not good.
I haven't heard anything long term from the US crate engines.

The R2.8 is a POS, avoid at all costs.

Is your experience based on the ISF2.8? My understanding is that while they are very similar, the r2.8 uses the same Chinese milled engine block but its assembled in the USA and they are not identical engines.
The cylinder bores were one of the issues. So location of assembly won't change that.

It'd be great if Cummins could come out and address the problems so we can know.

Is your experience based on the ISF2.8? My understanding is that while they are very similar, the r2.8 uses the same Chinese milled engine block but its assembled in the USA and they are not identical engines.
To a certain extent based on observing the ISF2.8 however as @Dougal says, the R2.8 doesn't address certain defects that the ISF2.8 suffers from

Where are the reports of poor quality cylinders coming from? I have seen 1-2 engine catastrophes , but by and large the main problems are gearboxes , clutches and electronics compounded by waiting for parts for the Tunland.
It is possible they have rectified early engine problems? I cant see Cummins which is a partner in the factory wanting the Chinese to go on making engines that give Cummins a bad name. On my many drives through Vietnam , I see the Foton 4.5t trucks with the same engine, they are almost exclusively used to bring in the rice harvest and I cant see them lasting long with Vietnamese maintenance habits if the engine is faulty.

Last edited:
I know early on the plastic oil pans didnt make alot of sense for offroad applications/ and im sure the aftermarket would offer something to easily remedy....but womdering if anyone has followed these???
Cummins themselves offer an aluminum oil pan. I think the biggest reason to get it is if your front driveshaft and oil pan want to be in the same spot you can cut and patch the aluminum one.
They went with plastic for noise and it seems to work, the motor is very quiet IMO.
I've only got 1,000 miles on mine in 3 months and can't speak to the long term durability of it though.

I was just reading that the crate U.S. one is a semi- do over of the problematic throwaway 2.8 thats been used aroudn the world a while.....so hopefully cummins addressed all the "issues learned" from their previous generations, From what ive read......the U.S 2.8 is sleeved.....so block manufactured in china and then Cummins likely presses in the sleeves which likely are made to their desired tolerance (possibly here or at least measured q/a here before final install which is promising for addressing the cylinder issues.) the mechanical pump Npr 3.9 was sleeved and had matched pistons/cylinders and that motor won all sorts of awards for fuel efficiency and durability - so sleeved blocks has its advantages if done right,

I had high hopes they would eventually offer their 3.8 version that was also released worldwide back with the 2.8.......but im betting that lackluster 2.8 sales may not warrant the 3.8 crate for the U.S. bummer because that one makes cummins 5.9 power at alot less size and comparable to size of the cruiser 4liters

Last edited:
Was this before or after the R2.8 was out of stock from Cummins?
From observation, before. Conscious decision to stop swapping the R2.8

We left the cummins program because they never backed up their product as promised. Parts can take weeks to show up, so imagine being on a cross country trip and having to wait for 2-6 weeks for a replacement part in the middle of nowhere? We never had any major failures, and the engine itself worked great but it wasn't for us.

Toyota 1HZ/HD parts are easier to come by at any Toyota dealer, so we will still offer that as an option for our customers.

We left the cummins program because they never backed up their product as promised. Parts can take weeks to show up, so imagine being on a cross country trip and having to wait for 2-6 weeks for a replacement part in the middle of nowhere? We never had any major failures, and the engine itself worked great but it wasn't for us.

Toyota 1HZ/HD parts are easier to come by at any Toyota dealer, so we will still offer that as an option for our customers.
That sucks, but I appreciate your insight. I just had a r2.8 swap completed, and although it's not a daily driver and having it out of service isn't a big deal, I really hope Cummins gets this worked out.

Looking for information as to whether Cummins ever got this issue worked out? Also checking to see if 2.8 problems ever came up? Thanks

Found one for sale in Australia , a 2015 model with 188000 with a dead oil pump that appears to have damaged the engine.. Looking through the Tunland owners group and there were 3-4 more tales of dead oil pumps that have damaged bearings etc. These were all around the 100000-200000klms mark and from 2016 or earlier engines. All tales of woe from owners , not 2nd and 3rd hand stories. I cant see these engines being high milers like Toyota diesels. Maybe there is a fix or mod for the oil pump.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom