Cummings 6BT in FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have aquired the Cummins and the Allison AT 545 auto tranny.
The Cummins is about 3 inches longer than the Toyota I-6. Im sure its a bit taller, but im not concerned about that Yet.
What I am concerned about is the down time it will take me to install this project.
Im thinking of waiting till next years budget to finish the project. This will give me plenty of time to figure out in more detail what all will be needed to make this happen.
I am going to most likely need a body lift, So 3 inches should do the trick.
My plan is to use marks adapters 3" body lift kit, and then use the rubber isolaters on top of that to minimize vibrations in the cab. What do you think?
Then im going to have to lengthen and fab some parts, ie radiator, bumper etc.
After the body lift, ill have to find an Adapter to go from the At545 to my stock transfer case. Since there is nothing wrong with my current transfer case, im gonna use it untill I save for a newer one, either a nvp273 or an atlas.
The body lift will also help with the rubbing I experince with the 37" tires.
Ill keep you posted,
-Ron

Project FJ80 said:
I have aquired the Cummins and the Allison AT 545 auto tranny.
The Cummins is about 3 inches longer than the Toyota I-6. Im sure its a bit taller, but im not concerned about that Yet.
What I am concerned about is the down time it will take me to install this project.
Im thinking of waiting till next years budget to finish the project. This will give me plenty of time to figure out in more detail what all will be needed to make this happen.
I am going to most likely need a body lift, So 3 inches should do the trick.
My plan is to use marks adapters 3" body lift kit, and then use the rubber isolaters on top of that to minimize vibrations in the cab. What do you think?
Then im going to have to lengthen and fab some parts, ie radiator, bumper etc.
After the body lift, ill have to find an Adapter to go from the At545 to my stock transfer case. Since there is nothing wrong with my current transfer case, im gonna use it untill I save for a newer one, either a nvp273 or an atlas.
The body lift will also help with the rubbing I experince with the 37" tires.
Ill keep you posted,
-Ron

This newbie wants to know where you are at on this project! Anything new in the last 10 months? :flipoff2:

Project FJ80 said:
Yeah, lots more, but not quite yet finished. should be running by July.
Heres a link to the updated page.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=84611

Thanks bro! In case you need some Dodge bullet proofing on that trans, I come from that world and know SEVERAL great trans builders who can make that thing take 1200ft lbs for ya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom