CRAWLIN' (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Lemon.

lurk,lurk,lurk,lurk,lurk....

[quote author=tewlman link=board=12;threadid=8341;start=msg71440#msg71440 date=1070591579]
hey poser,
what kind of suspension are you using to run 42" rubber, and do you have issues with it being top heavy?
Thanks,

Steve :beer:
[/quote]

2.5 Emu springs, a couple inch longer shakles with Dave Gore's(MAF) shakle reversal, three inch body lift, oh 82-2F, weber, header, DUI HEI, 420, 3spd case,blah blah, blah, Yes, it is top heavy to a point, those tires and 60's under the frame sure help to offset a lot of it, yes, I stand it on end regularily, yes I have scared myslef, and others damn near to death in it, yes I have dumped it, funny, but not with the roof rack, yet, not from lack of tryin'...5600#'s, half-tank of gas, no riggin' gear(straps-8, chains-2, shakles-8, snatch blocks-4)and my fat 250# ass out of it...

It works for me, and what I want to do with it, and where I have taken it, and after all the abuse in 15+ years, it has always got me home.

Thanks again Lemon.

-Steve

great lookin ride!! that thing looks awesome on those 42's. What did you use on the body lift? I am planning on lifting mine about 1.5" (body) I'll probably just use some 2"round aluminum and drill a hole thru the center. then put urethane on top of that. i'd like to run 35's to 38's but not sure yet.

tewlman

Are you SOA or SOA? 42" are some big tires.

[/quote]
2.5 Emu springs, a couple inch longer shakles with Dave Gore's(MAF) shakle reversal, three inch body lift, oh 82-2F, weber, header, DUI HEI, 420, 3spd case,blah blah, blah, Yes, it is top heavy to a point, those tires and 60's under the frame sure help to offset a lot of it, yes, I stand it on end regularily, yes I have scared myslef, and others damn near to death in it, yes I have dumped it, funny, but not with the roof rack, yet, not from lack of tryin'...5600#'s, half-tank of gas, no riggin' gear(straps-8, chains-2, shakles-8, snatch blocks-4)
-Steve[/quote]

ratios:

first gear x t-case1 low x t-case2 low x ring/pinion = crawl

6.5 x 2.4 x 2.313 x 4.11 = 148.3:1
(SM465 x minitruck range x 72 FJ40 t-case x stock diffs)
...and yeah, I'm guessing on the mini low...can't recall offhand...

also see the tech links, right column under Misc at the bottom for the calculators link...I think there's something in there for autocalculating..

stock mini is 2.28:1

I just picked up Carls (outback offroad) dual setup and I anticipate it to be waaay too low for me. its got 5:1 in the back and that times my 5.29's and my tourque converter makes something around 350+:1 (depending on how much reduction the TC gives me (x2)). I wont be able to stop the truck, but why would I want to stop all that fun:grinpimp:

That's a myth. A torque converter at idle won't drive through your brakes.

However, when my throttle tightens up due to the way the PO engineered the linkage-type throttle on my 55, it'll drive right through the 4 wheel discs. that's with 4.10s and 4:1 low range.

You've got nothing to worry about anyway. a 3.0L will explode before it drives through your brakes. :flipoff2:

However, when my throttle tightens up due to the way the PO engineered the linkage-type throttle on my 55, it'll drive right through the 4 wheel discs. that's with 4.10s and 4:1 low range.

You've got nothing to worry about anyway. a 3.0L will explode before it drives through your brakes. :flipoff2:

ok, talk to Carl about that

This is something you should be concerned about since usually im staring at pig ass when im wheeling:flipoff2:

I thought never it's much lower .. could be you use less ( it depends always of your wheeling style and places to wheel ) ..

It's also a matter or engine, how much hp /torque it have and the tire size that you are running ..

that's like saying "ford is better than chevy". it's such a general and random statement.
it all depends on the stall speed of the converter. a stock stall or low stall converter will definetly try to drive thru the brakes. you'll want something with a stall speed of 1500-1800 or more to avoid that situation.

that's like saying "ford is better than chevy". it's such a general and random statement.
it all depends on the stall speed of the converter. a stock stall or low stall converter will definetly try to drive thru the brakes. you'll want something with a stall speed of 1500-1800 or more to avoid that situation.

What's the stock stall speed on your transmission?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom