cracked split case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was cleaning the crud off my split case, getting it ready to swap in place of my 1 piece case, and I noticed a crack. I can't find it on the inside of the case, and the case is quite thick in this area. Is this a crack? Something just doesn't seem right about it. I thought these things were bullet proof?? Should I have it TIG'd up, replace the case or forget about it?
2012-12-01 13.58.58.jpg

Casting Lines?

Hi! Look at the rest of the case for casting lines and compare them to the one in the picture, my split case has some casting lines that look like this, I was worried at firs when I found them but after close inspection realised they were normal and after years of use have not had any leaks or problems of any kind.

Regards.

Its not a crack! At lunch we ground it down with a die grinder and it disappeared. Nothing to worry about.

Hi! Look at the rest of the case for casting lines and compare them to the one in the picture, my split case has some casting lines that look like this, I was worried at firs when I found them but after close inspection realised they were normal and after years of use have not had any leaks or problems of any kind.

Regards.

I stand corrected, good diagnosis sir!

yeah, I still have a hard time believing it wasn't a crack. In my job as a OEM wheel engineer, I look at cracks and casting defects on similar low pressure aluminum castings several times a week and it looked like a crack to me. But when we pulled that steel ring and saw that it didn't go into the counter bore, I knew something was up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom