cracked block on FJ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My buddies FJ has been parked since October having only been started and ran once since then. I helped get it running when oil went everywhere. After pulling the starter found a huge gap behind the starter right in front of the fly wheel. Looks to me like something struck the casting from the inside. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

tempImageAOi2Og.png

tempImageFkn4ve.png

tempImagedAO2iW.png

tempImagezJZH8u.png

Ahh, looks like it threw a rod. Is it miss firing by chance? Like, running on 5 cylinders?
We didn't have it running long enough to be sure. Sounded a little odd when turning over. Also when we manually turned the motor over a few times we hit a spot where we could no longer turn the crank. We back turned it then went at it with the starter.

If you pull the spark plugs you should be able to somewhat easily spin the engine over by hand. if you are hitting a hard spot, especially if it is in the same "location" turning the engine in both directions, then you have a mechanical interference in there. Perhaps a borescope through the hole?

I have heard that if the cylinder walls are scored, you cannot rebuild a 1GR due to the non-removable steel cylinder sleeve's inability to be bored.

Thanks for the input everyone. We will be back under the hood today. I was concerned that it may have been a hydro lock that blew through the cylinder. But with steel sleeves it is very doubtful. I should add that there is only 60k miles on this engine, it is also supercharged, chipped etc...

Update. Broken rod punched through the block. Not sure how this would happen on a 60,000 mile Toyota motor. However the owners wife mentioned it ran fine while she let it idle for 2 hours to charge the battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom