Cover the molding holes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruzerDave

Land Shark Outfitters
Threads
Website
landsharkoutfitters.com
I've got this idea in my head to do an inexpensive 2-tone on my 100 via vinyl and would need to remove the molding (moulding? as step one. Problem is the vinyl, being flexible, will reveal the clip holes so I need to cover/flatten them first.

There's always bondo, but jeez that will be a lot of work, and I'm wondering if anyone has a more creative/redneck solution? If I like how it turns out I'll eventually paint it, but with a quote of $1600 that's not high on the priority list!

I'm thinking of using strips of vinyl in the channel, 2 or 3, prior to the final layer might be enough to smooth over the holes...?

I think with time it'll show through the vinyl either way if you don't cover them properly. How about remove the molding, add the vinyl halfway in the middle of the molding. Paint the molding the same color of the vinyl and reinstall? Just an idea.

Unless you're wanting to get rid of the molding entirely.

Could always try fiberglass. Many people aren't a fan, but if your going to be covering the small molding holes and then covering with more vinyl, it would work.

vinyl is like paint... requires prep work every imperfection will show... of course the proper way is to weld them up using a copper spoon behind the hole then grind down and surface coat with filler... yes A LOT of work... I've seen a heavy textured vinyl that almost looks rhino liner "like" that would at least make the imperfections not stand out..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom