Cooper Discoverer A/T3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried to resist starting another tire thread, but I searched through the 100 forum and could not find any references to Cooper Discoverer A/T3. I never thought much about Cooper's in the past, but I need to replace my BFG AT KOs soon. I've read a couple of decent reviews for these tires on other trucks in other forums. Anyone here have experience with these tires?

Thanks!

Coopers

Just purchased a set of at3 s last week. 285/75/16. Did read all the reviews and liked what I found. I have a stock 99 100. Coopers ride smooth and quite. Have not been off road yet. Feel good on the road. Not as stiff as I thought they would be for an E rating. Will let you know more as I drive them.

Thanks. Is there a black sidewall option for these or do you have to use the owl sidewall?

Coopers are OWL on one side and all black on the other side so it's just a matter of mounting the side you want to face out. I've run S/T's and STT's and have been pleased with them both. I currently have over 25k on the aggressive STT's and there is alot of tread life left.

These A/T3's might be a good fit for my Tacoma as it's going to need new shoes soon.

discoverer_8.png

Thanks. That what I thought. I was looking at the STTs and ST Maxx but I spend a lot of time on the highway an felt I needed a little more of a compromise. My business partner has the BFG MT K2s on his truck. They look good and handle well off road but they are too loud for me.

Hi

Gotten the 285/75/16

P1010028.JPG

Good on the beach and been traveling on highway at 180kph (111mph) regularly.

Cheers
Kritz
P1010028.JPG

Thanks. That what I thought. I was looking at the STTs and ST Maxx but I spend a lot of time on the highway an felt I needed a little more of a compromise. My business partner has the BFG MT K2s on his truck. They look good and handle well off road but they are too loud for me.

personally, i'd pick the ST Maxx of these two because of the snow rating and because it's slightly more biased toward offroad and has better carcass for that type of terrain if you ever plan to venture off-highway. Both are still ATs and should give a great on-road experience. Check this article on both: Cooper AT/3 and ST Maxx

if the ST Maxx had come out a year earlier, I probably would have gotten those vs my Duratracs (which I still love)

personally, i'd pick the ST Maxx of these two because of the snow rating and because it's slightly more biased toward offroad and has better carcass for that type of terrain if you ever plan to venture off-highway. Both are still ATs and should give a great on-road experience

X2 though I should point out that not all sizes are snowflake rated. I have about 500 miles on my ST Maxx in 275/70/18 and love them I was concerned by the fact that a couple of the tires took a lot of weight to balance, but they run smooth. Gotta get in the dirt to see how they perform there ...

UZJ100elkhntr said:
...though I should point out that not all sizes are snowflake rated.

When I was shopping for tires two years ago I contacted BFG about the 275/70-18. Here is what BFG wrote back:

"The BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO in size LT275/70R18 does not meet the RMA Severe Snow Traction performance requirements given the tire has slight modifications due to original equipment specifications and the tire has not yet been tested. Unfortunately, we do not know when the testing will take place with the RMA."

I read between the lines and took the reply to mean "We haven't tested it yet but we expect it to pass." YMMV.

I wish we could go 111mph regularly here in the US

Ouch, I stepped on my own toes

Correction, it was some time 100kph (62mph) and some time 80kph (50mph)...

Let me see how do I edit the earlier post

Bit the bullet and bought them

Bought the A/T3s yesterday. Sent my secretary to get them put on. Specifically said "make sure they put the black wall on the outside." She forgot, so I have the OWL showing. Not too bad of a luck, but I prefer the pure blackwall.

They are a little louder than I expected, but I think that is because one of the wheels is slightly out of balance. A front end alignment may not hurt either. Hoping to get that done next week. Will let you know how they are after that.

I definitely like the step up to the 285 75 16s from the stock tire size.

Have had a set of these on my girl for about 5000ks and love em. From sand to highway to mud- love em

I've had the tires for a couple of weeks now and thought I would post an update. All in all, I'm not that happy with these, mainly due to road noise. I thought that the noise was related to improper balancing, but I had that checked and the noise is still there. These are much louder than my former BFG AT KOs. I did run them off road and was pleased with the handling. However, I spend a lot of time on the highway and would prefer a tire that was not this loud. I'm not sure what I will do next.

Sorry to hear that. Does the tire shop you bought them from have a satisfaction guarantee or anything?

Nitto Terra Grapplers are a great AT tire, and are very quiet. Everybody and their brother has them, but theres a reason for that. ;)

I used to be a big cooper fan, primarily because the great offroad performance of the STT which used to be my tire of choice. However the last 5 I bought we're impossible to keep balanced and got really loud with time. Because of that I switched to Nitto's and can't be happier with the noise / balance ability / and on/off road performance.

I do need to follow up with the tire shop that I bought these from. I think that they have a satisfaction guarantee. I am bummed though. I did a lot of research on the tires and thought that these would be a good buy. Guess I was wrong. Should be interesting this week. My wife has not ridden in the truck since I put the tires on it. However, we will be leaving for vacation this week and have a 5.5 hour drive in front of us. I wonder how she will like the noise.

I put a set of these on in June of 2012. Just under 40k now. Lot of life left on the set. Good off road and all around tire. They have become very loud. This is the only thing I dislike.

I have 37k on mine (265/75-16, load range C on an 02 4Runner) and am very happy. Quiet, smooth on the highway (75-80 mph), great in snow. They have about 300 miles of forest service roads (lots of sharp limestone) with no problems. I'll replace them with the same tires this fall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom