Coolant over flow questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, im new to this site and landcruisers i hope im posting this in the right way lol i just bought a 80 series here in north carolina i drove the truck home about an hour and had no problems drove to town and back no problems and when i get back home today as soon as i cut it off coolant comes pissing out of the overflow (temp guage never got hot) my resovoir is filled where it should be and my radiator is full also. Any ideas as to why it would randomly do this? Ive only owned it for week and driven it maybe 3 times so i dont no it in and out yet.

Good change your radiator cap isn't doing its job. Time to get a new OEM Toyota cap versus some aftermarket alternative.

Hey guys, im new to this site and landcruisers i hope im posting this in the right way lol i just bought a 80 series here in north carolina i drove the truck home about an hour and had no problems drove to town and back no problems and when i get back home today as soon as i cut it off coolant comes pissing out of the overflow (temp guage never got hot) my resovoir is filled where it should be and my radiator is full also. Any ideas as to why it would randomly do this? Ive only owned it for week and driven it maybe 3 times so i dont no it in and out yet.
I agree with @ppc with a slight caveat.

1) change your radiator cap to an OEM cap if your radiator is OEM.
2) If you go to an OEM cap, make sure it has a CORRECT fit on your radiator. Proper neck depth and that the cap fits smoothly. I have seen a couple folks that had an aftermarket radiator (no idea what brand) and the OEM cap would not fit properly.
3) Make sure that your overflow cap is installed properly. There are a few folks that have the tubing installed backwards and it blows coolant out the overflow tank but it doesn't suck it back out. The tube coming from the radiator MUST go to the port on the cap with the LONG nozzle going down into the overflow tank. The side with no down tube is the overflow tank overflow hose.
If all you're really talking about is the radiator is pushing coolant to the overflow tank, that's what it's supposed to do. But it's also supposed to suck it back in as it cools.

Don't trust the gauge for following temp. It's horribly inaccurate for the "normal" range.

What year is your truck? It makes a difference on how we approach this. Not all 80's are equal.

Thanks for the replys i checked the cap on the radiator and it seems to fit perfect i will re check it all today tho and i have a koso digutal guage on the way right now. the truck is a 97 i added some pics!

20200805_183757.jpg

20200811_174252.jpg

20200811_174247.jpg

Thanks for the replys i checked the cap on the radiator and it seems to fit perfect i will re check it all today tho and i have a koso digutal guage on the way right now. the truck is a 97 i added some pics!

View attachment 2401645

View attachment 2401647

View attachment 2401648
Looks to me like the cap on the coolant overflow has the outlet plugged. Did someone try to "fix" a problem?
Also could be a split hose between the radiator and the tank.

Pull out your overflow tank cap and take a picture of it with the hose attached.

Looks to me like the cap on the coolant overflow has the outlet plugged. Did someone try to "fix" a problem?
Also could be a split hose between the radiator and the tank.

Pull out your overflow tank cap and take a picture of it with the hose attached.
It does look like its plugged but thats where it was shooting out of and il post a pic as sson as i get off work.. thanks for the help

With a COLD NON-RUNNING engine, the RADIATOR should be full to juuuust below the top of the fill neck. The coolant OVERFLOW BOTTLE should be at the FULL mark on the side of the bottle, NOT to the top.
From your picture, it appears that the hose from the radiator fill neck is connected properly, but you must check for clogs or debris in the lines. The level in the overflow should rise and fall with engine temperature. The only time coolant should expel from the overflow is when it reaches the plastic cap with the hole that vents to the outside.

With a COLD NON-RUNNING engine, the RADIATOR should be full to juuuust below the top of the fill neck. The coolant OVERFLOW BOTTLE should be at the FULL mark on the side of the bottle, NOT to the top.
From your picture, it appears that the hose from the radiator fill neck is connected properly, but you must check for clogs or debris in the lines. The level in the overflow should rise and fall with engine temperature. The only time coolant should expel from the overflow is when it reaches the plastic cap with the hole that vents to the outside.
Yeap exactly it was just weird that i have drove the truck and nothing happened then randomly it overflows.. i just ordered a new oem rad cap and overflow cap and lines maybe that will take care of it..... thanks for the help man

0.02 -
You also just bought it. Could have been overfilled by PO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom