Coolant Flush Process Verification (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say you got it. I don't know if it will ever come out crystal clear...the law of diminishing returns probably sets in about at flush 5 or so. I did 6 and was satisfied.

You did good.

Your fine, button it back up with fresh coolant and change it every 1-2 years.

Thank you!

Thanks guys! I knew that I was getting to diminishing returns when I switched over to doing it with distilled. When others posted that they got it to run clear... I guess clear is a relative term.

I still haven't figured out what the PO put in there to make it do that. Yuck.

I can't button it up yet. I'm doing the PHH this afternoon. I reached back and felt up the PHH real well yesterday and it was swolen and soft. (Man that sounds dirty.) The system is drained, I have the silicone hose and sleved clamps left over from when I did the job on my grey '96. It wouldn't feel right to fill up the red '96 that my wife & kids roll around in without changing it.

A promise to the kids... I'm taking them swimming this afternoon. So, I start the PHH later this afternoon. May my right arm forgive me.

I don't know if you know this or not, but be sure to put the thermostat in the correct orientation, jiggle valve near the 12 o'clock position.

Ross

Grench said:
So, my local stealership sold me the thermostat on the left. I pulled out the one on the right. The only difference I could see was that the new one had a rubber bit on the pointy side. I'm assuming that this was a change Mr. Toyota did for a reason. What that reason is eludes me. The old gasket had square shoulders. The new one had rounded shoulders.

Was the one I pulled likely the factory one from 1996?

Also, distilled 1 and 3. Did I flush enough or should I keep going to try to see it crystal clear?

Thanks everyone!

Grench

GeoRoss said:
I don't know if you know this or not, but be sure to put the thermostat in the correct orientation, jiggle valve near the 12 o'clock position.

Ross

Argh. I have no idea which way I put it in last night. At least the coolant is still out so I can open it up and check easily.

For future reference, why is the up/down important? Its a flooded hose.

Grench said:
Argh. I have no idea which way I put it in last night. At least the coolant is still out so I can open it up and check easily.

For future reference, why is the up/down important? Its a flooded hose.

Helps burp out any trapped air in the engine block into the rad return hose where it can escape out the overflow tube.

Ross

ps, I've had to recheck before too because I was on auto-pilot during reassemble.

Old - New

Right arm is raw from the fender well sheet metal. Started 7:00 PM. Ended 10:00 PM. My first one took me 6 hours. This one took me 3 hours. I'm getting better at it. I fought with the lower bolt trying to loosen it for nearly an hour and a half. I ended up putting a 1/4" drive craftsman driver on it with a shorty el-cheapo socket. Then I used my Craftsman ratcheting end wrench braced against the wheel well as a lever against the ratchet. It turned instantly.

You'll notice in the picture that the old hose was weeping at the block. I got to changing this none too soon. When I was removing the hose it tore in my fingers. The threads inside the hose were rotted. It was a ticking time bomb.

I'm tired. My wife is driving my grey truck tomorrow and I'll continue the collant change on her truck after work. Flush is done. PHH is DONE! Time for a very stiff drink and a shower.
Old_PHH.jpg
New_PHH.jpg

I'm dropping off the 80 to have Norwalk Toyota do a coolant flush, replace upper and lower hoses, install new thermostat, water pump, Wits' End fan clutch, and do the PHH. A bit anxious as it's my first time dropping it off there and don't know their quality of staff or work. I decided to give them my business since they offer discounted parts pricing in the vendor forum. Hoping they know what they're doing. It's more than a $2k appt.

I'm dropping off the 80 to have Norwalk Toyota do a coolant flush, replace upper and lower hoses, install new thermostat, water pump, Wits' End fan clutch, and do the PHH. A bit anxious as it's my first time dropping it off there and don't know their quality of staff or work. I decided to give them my business since they offer discounted parts pricing in the vendor forum. Hoping they know what they're doing. It's more than a $2k appt.
You could do all of that yourself for a lot less than that. Maybe $400, tops in parts. Easy job.

You could do all of that yourself for a lot less than that. Maybe $400, tops in parts. Easy job.

jungle.jpg

I live somewhere near the base of the tallest building you see here occupying airspace. Tandem parking amongst other tandem parkers. No tools. Zero desire to wrench myself. Maybe I'll grow out of it. Maybe not. I'll make sure to bring along some distilled water. I can do that.

View attachment 1683478

I live somewhere near the base of the tallest building you see here. Tandem parking amongst other tandem parkers. No tools. Zero desire to wrench myself. Maybe I'll grow out of it. Maybe not. I'll make sure to bring along some distilled water. I can do that.
I would move. :)

Good luck!

Visited Belgrade and Mexico City in the past two months - the world is big and small at the same time.
How was Belgrade? I can imagine what Mexico City was like... do they do the reaggaetone thing there? When I was Honduras and Guatemala, that is what all the kids were tuning into. It seems like the same beat and song, with just different lyrics, but I am not a great Spanish speaker.

The world is both big and small. That is a great way to put it. The internet is a great way to come together often times though. I wouldn't have had this conversation, for example, without it.

I kinda like the "old" dance hall stuff from people like Lady Saw. I like this one.

View attachment 1683478

I live somewhere near the base of the tallest building you see here occupying airspace. Tandem parking amongst other tandem parkers. No tools. Zero desire to wrench myself. Maybe I'll grow out of it. Maybe not. I'll make sure to bring along some distilled water. I can do that.
You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom