Vendor Convert your FJ40 Kilometers Per Hour Speedometer to Miles Per Hour (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JVZii

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Gauging by the number of new Kilometers Per Hour clusters that sell on eBay think that its safe to say that many of you are driving around with a Speedometer that reads in Kilometers Per Hour. You probably have gotten pretty good at dividing your displayed speed by 1.6 or you have a cheat sheet next to your speedometer or even better you have little labels on the glass of your speedometer. BUT now you can correct your speedometer readings and easily view your speed in Miles Per Hour exactly the way that God intended.

This kit has 2 pieces the first is a ring that covers the existing numbers with the equivalent Miles Per Hour values. Also included is a Speed MPH sticker to cover the offending Speed KPH on the Speedometer face. Once installed, it blends very well with the black speedometer face.

Some Details of the Kit.
  • The Speedometer does need to be removed from the Cluster. It is very easy to remove I have a video to explain this process.
  • The needle does not need to be removed to install the kit. Although it is easier without the needle.
  • The values can be changed to accommodate larger tires (This is for any FJ40 speedometer, contact me with your new values and I can change for a $10 charge)
  • The color of the numbers and Speed decals can be changed (contact me with your color request and I can see what choices I have $5 charge)
  • This solution is reversible. The decal can be removed later if needed.
  • This DOES NOT fix the odometer racking up Kilometers instead of Miles. Might be obvious but just in case.
  • Finally if this is not up your alley I will complete the work for you . Simply send me your cluster and I will install for you. Contact me for more info.
Price is $25 shipped. You can PM me and I will get you setup.

Pics

This is the decal that will be used for installation

decal.png

This is an example of the cluster in its original state

before and after.png

This is an example of the decal in place as its being installed

decal in place.jpg

Here is the completed installation

completed installation.jpg

Here is an installation video.

Last edited:
This was never a question of ‘if’, just when. Always wondered who would do it? I gave @Biscuit a pep talk about doing this six or seven years ago. He chose to be more profitably occupied.😉

GLWS

Sweet work - I know the effort it takes! What would be really cool as a version two, is a full decal for the whole plate with cut-outs for the turn signal indicators and the odometer. The screw holes could easily be poked through with a pin after installation.

This way, the entire face is covered so that it doesn't look like "SPEED MPH" is a decal.

I restored my cluster as seen here: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Reset - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-reset.1084111/page-15#post-13131699 and I would have loved to have a full face decal instead of buying six clusters for a clean face!

Sweet work - I know the effort it takes! What would be really cool as a version two, is a full decal for the whole plate with cut-outs for the turn signal indicators and the odometer. The screw holes could easily be poked through with a pin after installation.

This way, the entire face is covered so that it doesn't look like "SPEED MPH" is a decal.

I restored my cluster as seen here: Builds - 1978 US Market FJ40 Factory Reset - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1978-us-market-fj40-factory-reset.1084111/page-15#post-13131699 and I would have loved to have a full face decal instead of buying six clusters for a clean face!

Nice paint work. I wish CCOT still carried pewter.

I tried this, the 40s cannot have a single piece of vinyl to cover the whole face I tried it and the vinyl won't stretch down in the valley and it ends up creasing if you try to force it.

I wanted something that was easy to install and with this there is some forgiveness when installing.

I kind of think you can see the difference in the pic because it is brightly lit up. Once in the truck I bet it will be much less visible.

Thanks for the input and if you want to sell those 5 extra clusters me know. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom